Windows 7 Connecting Windows 7 Ultimate to XP network

pcook

Ok ive got the same issue and still no connection or detection of the xp network... I can ping and find all of the computers via the Command Promt without issue...

Network detection and the network map however do not find any of the xp computers or the one legacy computer running windows 98.

Help please...this happened after windows update and I havent been able to recover network functionality.

It might be important to note that the other xp computers can connect to the 7 ultimate 64 computer and use its files without issue.

Hi Pcook,

I have created a new thread for you for better exposure. Someone would assist you shortly.

Have a nice day! :)

Ok ive got the same issue and still no connection or detection of the xp network... I can ping and find all of the computers via the Command Promt without issue...

Network detection and the network map however do not find any of the xp computers or the one legacy computer running windows 98.

Help please...this happened after windows update and I havent been able to recover network functionality.

It might be important to note that the other xp computers can connect to the 7 ultimate 64 computer and use its files without issue.
pcook;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Not sure what "Ok ive got the same issue" fully means but if you are having trouble seeing other network nodes first check and make sure that all your computers are members of the same Workgroup and then also on all network nodes as it applies:
enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, under the WINS tab, within the properties of your network interface card.
type services.msc into the search box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation
Keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

I have done and checked all those things and re-verified. So far all of it checks out.

The network name is all workgroup for all computers... I have also tried making this network and network2 accross all platforms to no avail.

all the services are started.

Is there any way to manually force windows 7 to see/ping/connect to another computer outside its auto detection routines?

I can see the windows 7 computer from all the xp computers without issue...I just cant connect the other direction. It also blocks the bi-directional communication for quickbooks.

All xp computers are running service pack 3 with the LLTD responder update.

Seriously, why isnt there a function for manually connecting from windows 7 to another computer...was it that bad of a security loophole?

In your first post you said
I can ping and find all of the computers
In a subsequent post you asked
Is there any way to manually force windows 7 to see/ping/connect to another computer outside its auto detection routines
So it would be nice to know....can you ping all machines from each other by IP address and Computername (netbios)?
If not then what is the results of the attempts? Error message? Credentials prompt?
Can you UNC to any of them from any of the rest (Universal Naming Convention)hold down the Windows Logo Key on your keyboard and strike the "R" key and type
\\XpMachineName (the actual netbios name of one of the computers that you cannot get to from the Win7 machine in the run dialog box)
or
\\192.168.nnn.nnn (the actual IP address of one of the computer that you cannot get to from the Win7 machine in the run dialog box)
What is the result of both or either
Access denied (then you have a password problem (probably))
Name not found or not available (then you have a problem with some third party software running on your XP machines that see your New Win7 machine as an intruder and will need to be either uninstalled or configured properly to support the Win 7 machine as a trusted node.)

First of all thanks again for helping...heres the answers you were looking for:

Ping attempts from all computers from command prompt has zero errors both by name and ip address

attempting to run it via windows returns network path not found both by Ip and name from windows 7... no problems connecting from the xp machines to the windows 7 machine.

Incidentally Ive also worked around quickbooks so at least my bookeeping is up again and this isnt as critical an issue...just an annoyance...that was just a firewall exception issue on the xp machine for one of the quickbooks portals

If you can ping around without errors or packet loss then your network is fine.
If you have double checked to make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on all adapters,
click start orb
type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter
select then right click the adapter and choose properties
uncheck IPv6
select IPv4 and click properties button
click the advanced button
select the WINS tab
select the radio button that says
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
OK your way back out of there.
If all of that is correct then you, as I said earlier, need to uninstall any and all third party Internet Security Suites (Symantec/Norton, McAfee, AVG, whatever) and all third party software firewalls (Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc.,) using the add and remove programs applet in the XP control panel and follow that up by running the proprietary vendor specific removal tool. There is a list of several of the top tier links here http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/50402-removal-tools-antivirus-software-drivers.html if your's is not listed use google to acquire it to remove all left over remnants. Reboot as prompted during this process, minimally following the removal tool clean up has completed.
Check your network and see if you can UNC to other nodes.
You can reinstall any of these products after your network is working properly but I would suggest replacing them with Link Removed due to 404 Error and the built-in windows firewall. Neither of them should give you any grief regarding your network configuration..
The network path not found error is usually a result of third party software. Even some network management software can product these problems.

Hi
I had a similar problem (see this summary) and the full thread here
After several days of hair tearing, I replaced the router (Thomson 760W with 3Com) and the problem went away
HTH

Back
Top Bottom