Windows 8 Connection issues (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265)

sc458

Hi,

I've recently bought a new laptop (Asus UX303L, Windows 8.1) and whenever I try to connect to my home network it comes up with the simple error message "Can't connect to this network". I've confirmed that any other devices I own are in fact able to connect to it, and when I tried to connect the laptop to a friend's Wifi network there were no issues and I could connect just fine.

This was all done upon the first booting up of the laptop, so there were no programs downloaded that could have interfered with the system.

Also, in the Network and Sharing Center, if I attempt to 'set up a new connection or network', it says "Windows did not detect any networking hardware". Given that I was able to connect to a network previously, I'm assuming this is either unrelated or another issue entirely, but I just wanted to give you as much information as I can!

If I've left out some information please let me know!

Thank you in advance,

Sam

Hi Sam,
Sounds like your router is stopping you because it doesn't know whom this new computer belongs too... have you got a spare network cable (i.e not wifi) to use as a temp 1st time setup? I assume someone else set this router up for you but they tip allow cable without the extra issues and once you have your machine logs in its happy again.

Well, I connected it to the router via Ethernet cable and it works just fine as expected, but I don't see how this will help the computer to connect to the router wirelessly... I tried connecting to it both while connected to the Ethernet cable and after having disconnected it, and there are no changes.

Well that’s good news and progress of a sort, we now know your internet set-up is working on this computer and as you say the wifi works fine at a mates house… that means the computer doesn’t have a problem and in fact, your router is likely the cause of the issue.

Most routers allow you to temporary override the wifi security by pressing a button on the back and I suggest you look at the routers manu/ manual but that’s as far as I can go because you haven’t given us the model number or brand of your router (I suspect Netgear).

Back