Windows 7 Connection Unsuccessful. Limited access to...

Zac55555

Hello, I have been struggling all day with this problem and finally am looking online for help. Every time I try to connect to my router or any others, I get the error message "Connection unsuccessful. This computer currently has limited connectivity to..." I have tried deleting all of the network profiles but if I try to connect it just says it can't connect. I have also tried to get my personal hotspot to work with it, and my phone shows it got a connection for a split second but then it goes away. Here is the info I get when I do ipconfig/all thanks! image.jpg

Your ipconfig shows an address starting with 169 which means that the router has failed to allocate a valid IP address (which would start with 192). Have you previouslt been using the connection ok and if so has anything happened recently (such as a driver update) to change your wireless connection? When in command mode try executing the following command to test whther or not your pc can see the router:

ping 192.168.1.1

If just rebooting the router doesn't work. Call your provider if you can't figure out how to configure it. Had same problem last night. My IP was changed somehow and once I configured it, everything is back to normal. No problems.

Also the quick thing to do is to reboot the router, even if other devices are connecting.
If just rebooting the router doesn't work. Call your provider if you can't figure out how to configure it. Had same problem last night. My IP was changed somehow and once I configured it, everything is back to normal. No problems.
Ive tried to restart the router but the laptop is doing this with the other router in the house, and I checked with the nextdoor neighbors wifi. (Kinda ok connection and I had their password so I could connect fine other than this laptop) but I see what you are saying because I do configure the settings every now and then but I usually stick to basic settings. :/

Your ipconfig shows an address starting with 169 which means that the router has failed to allocate a valid IP address (which would start with 192). Have you previouslt been using the connection ok and if so has anything happened recently (such as a driver update) to change your wireless connection? When in command mode try executing the following command to test whther or not your pc can see the router:

ping 192.168.1.1
So I "limited access connected" to my router then ran the command. Ping 192.168.1.3, because I have changed my router's ip about a year ago to solve some identity issues between the two in the house. I got back "Unable to contact IP driver. General Failure". I also did ...1.1 just to make sure but got the same error. I have turned my router off and on also. The only thing I have done significantly before this is fix the Teredo Tunneling adapter. It was a code 10 and it couldn't start but it seems to be running fine now. My laptop before this checked files on drive c, on start up about a week before this but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

So I "limited access connected" to my router then ran the command. Ping 192.168.1.3, because I have changed my router's ip about a year ago to solve some identity issues between the two in the house. I got back "Unable to contact IP driver. General Failure". I also did ...1.1 just to make sure but got the same error. I have turned my router off and on also. The only thing I have done significantly before this is fix the Teredo Tunneling adapter. It was a code 10 and it couldn't start but it seems to be running fine now. My laptop before this checked files on drive c, on start up about a week before this but I don't think that has anything to do with it.
And I don't know if this helps, but I can see the SSID on the laptop if thats what you meant by "see" the routers.

If you've changed your router IP address to 192.168.1.3 then you should set your default gateway on your pc also to this addrress. Having said that, the address you have changed it to is not a good idea as it will be in the range of IP addresses available for allocation to connected devices. You would be better changing the address to 192.168.0.1 which would place it on a different network. You would then need to set the default gateway to automatic or manually set it to 192.168.0.1. If you have another router alread using 192.168.1.* addressing structure your present arrangement will create all sorts of problems.

As others have suggested, multiple routers on the same LAN can be a bit problematic and result in various scenarios like Double NAT if you are cascading them and connecting the first router (upstream router, connected to your ISP) to the second router (downstream router).
You'll want to turn off DHCP on the second (downstream router) and let the first (upstream router) handled everything from DHCP to Gateway functions. To do this you'll need to configure that downstream device's LAN settings so that they fit the addressing scheme of the upstream device.
I like my first / primary (upstream) router to be something like 192.168.1.1 and I usually set the DHCP Scope to be something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 (few homes or small business will require more than a hundred addresses).
Then I set my second (downstream) router to be something like 192.168.1.254 and turn DHCP off. Then I connect the two Switch Port to Switch Port.
Here is a decent article that sort of explains what I just said although the numbers are different, it may help you better understand what you need to do.
http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/
Good luck and keep us posted.

As others have suggested, multiple routers on the same LAN can be a bit problematic and result in various scenarios like Double NAT if you are cascading them and connecting the first router (upstream router, connected to your ISP) to the second router (downstream router).
You'll want to turn off DHCP on the second (downstream router) and let the first (upstream router) handled everything from DHCP to Gateway functions. To do this you'll need to configure that downstream device's LAN settings so that they fit the addressing scheme of the upstream device.
I like my first / primary (upstream) router to be something like 192.168.1.1 and I usually set the DHCP Scope to be something like 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199 (few homes or small business will require more than a hundred addresses).
Then I set my second (downstream) router to be something like 192.168.1.254 and turn DHCP off. Then I connect the two Switch Port to Switch Port.
Here is a decent article that sort of explains what I just said although the numbers are different, it may help you better understand what you need to do.
http://www.labnol.org/software/add-router-to-wireless-network/19716/
Good luck and keep us posted.
If you've changed your router IP address to 192.168.1.3 then you should set your default gateway on your pc also to this addrress. Having said that, the address you have changed it to is not a good idea as it will be in the range of IP addresses available for allocation to connected devices. You would be better changing the address to 192.168.0.1 which would place it on a different network. You would then need to set the default gateway to automatic or manually set it to 192.168.0.1. If you have another router alread using 192.168.1.* addressing structure your present arrangement will create all sorts of problems.
Thanks for the advice as it was confusing working with the router settings. I have done the DHCP which from what I understand makes the second router act as an extension of the first, but im not sure. The routers work fine with everyone else's computers and devices, but I will definitely configure them how you guys suggested once I get my laptop fixed. :p The laptop isn't doing this with just my routers but all routers. It used to work with the configuration as I have had it for a year so I definitely believe its the laptop. :/ Any suggestions?

Do you need the two routers to run on the same subnetwork? It is not often you would need to do so but if so then you need to set about configuring them so that you have no addressing conflicts and we can can help you do this. It would be much easier to run the two routers as access points for two completely separate networks and configure all devices to connect to either one as a preferred network with the other configured as an alternative connection which again we can help you set up.

Do you need the two routers to run on the same subnetwork? It is not often you would need to do so but if so then you need to set about configuring them so that you have no addressing conflicts and we can can help you do this. It would be much easier to run the two routers as access points for two completely separate networks and configure all devices to connect to either one as a preferred network with the other configured as an alternative connection which again we can help you set up.
I mean I don't speak too technical, but I use the second one just to get better wifi in my room since I am the one in my family who uses it the most for gaming, school, etc. I initially came to this forum to help my laptop, and I know my network is messed up but if this will help my laptop work then Ill do it.

ok. If the other router in the house has an address of 192.168.1.1 then you can set the address of the router in your room to 192.168.0.1. That means that your two routers are on different LANs - your is on LAN 0 and the other one is on LAN 1. When you connect to the one in your room the router should assign an address to your pc of 192.168.0.x where x is a number between 2 and 254. If you still have a problem connecting the manually set the IP addresses for your pc as follows:

IP address of your pc 192.168.0.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS server address 192.168.0.1

ok. If the other router in the house has an address of 192.168.1.1 then you can set the address of the router in your room to 192.168.0.1. That means that your two routers are on different LANs - your is on LAN 0 and the other one is on LAN 1. When you connect to the one in your room the router should assign an address to your pc of 192.168.0.x where x is a number between 2 and 254. If you still have a problem connecting the manually set the IP addresses for your pc as follows:

IP address of your pc 192.168.0.10
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS server address 192.168.0.1
Well I will have to do this after my laptop is fixed, because these routers have always caused me trouble. The thing is, this computer was fine with this setup for about a year and the laptop cannot connect to any router at all. Weather it be mine, my neighbors, or my phone hotspot all which it used to be able to do. Any suggestions on my laptop?

Simple to resolve,

1. Right click on 'Computer', select 'Manage'
2. Select 'Device Manager'
3. Unistall Wifi/Wireless driver (i.e Dell Wireless ....)
4. Now, right click on Network adapter, select 'Scan for hardware updates.

This will install Wireless driver again,

See screen shot

Internet should be accessed.

Problem solved

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 391
Back