Windows 10 Constant CPU Spikes

Sle55

Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with my computer that I have not been able to diagnose or solve and I was wondering if I could get some help. Every 20 seconds or so the CPU usage jumps about 20-30% and it causes my computer to go through a pretty nasty lag spike. This problem has persisted through multiple restarts and seems to never go away while the computer is still on.

My current setup:

Intel i5-4460
Radeon RX 580
16 GB 1600MHz DDR3
Windows 10

Any help would be much appreciated

EDIT: After looking at the picture again it is anywhere between 30-60 seconds apart and lasts for less than 2 seconds

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    42.3 KB · Views: 163
A spike like that should have little impact on the system. You can open up resource manager and filter by CPU. Once you see the spike you should be able to ID the process or processes causing it. Then check the box next to the process to see how it's affecting memory and disk.

A spike like that should have little impact on the system. You can open up resource manager and filter by CPU. Once you see the spike you should be able to ID the process or processes causing it. Then check the box next to the process to see how it's affecting memory and disk.

I checked it out in resource monitor and I am linking what the CPU looks like during the spike from both programs. The issue I have been running into is when I am playing a game that is relatively graphics intensive this spike can cause the whole thing to freeze. For example, if I was playing Beat Saber, A VR game, when the spike occurs the entire game freezes for a second and then goes back to normal.

Attachments

• CPU2.PNG
    CPU2.PNG
    471.7 KB · Views: 157
If you’re running Windows, open up Task Manager and it’ll show you CPU usage by various processes.

Often an excessive CPU usage can be traced to certain Windows functions or anti-virus programs; make note the highest CPU usage and do a Google search on the process.

main-qimg-2fac2c8e76299fb4467697e74ec1edb9.webp

Windows explorer seems to be the only process that jumps when this spike occurs and I have googled around and have had no luck. The problem doesn't occur if I boot the computer in safe mode but does occur if I do a clean boot.

Windows explorer seems to be the only process that jumps when this spike occurs and I have googled around and have had no luck. The problem doesn't occur if I boot the computer in safe mode but does occur if I do a clean boot.
This is my hero - Question - Explorer.exe causing methodical CPU spikes

Turn off the windows setting 'Colours' -> 'Choose your accent colour' -> 'Automatically pick an accent colour from my background'. Windows is absolutely broken.

Also, worth mentioning that I had severe graphics card crashing errors caused by 'Automatically hide the task bar' when trying to use e.g. Blender and Unreal Engine. Another instance of windows being absolutely devastatingly broken.

Back