Windows 7 Constant Hardware Connect/Disconnect sound

Grimmwor

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM. Every few seconds I get a Device Connect sound, then a Device Disconnect sound...over and over again every few seconds. I am trying to figure out what piece of hardware it is and not having any luck. Any ideas...?

Device connect log

Does anyone know if there is any kind of log in Windows 7 that tracks device connect/disconnects? I have unplugged every single peripheral on my machine, including my keyboard and mouse, and something is still triggering the device connect/disconnect event. I am starting to wonder if it's some kind of problem with my Intel chipset drivers. I have a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R motherboard with the Intel P45 + ICH10R Chipset. The Gigabyte website says this board is Windows 7 certified. The chipset drivers installed automatically with Windows 7. I am running a QX9650 core 2 extreme cpu and 4 gb of DDR3 memory. I have an nVidia GTX295 video card and a creative sound blaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro sound card; onboard sound is disabled through the BIOS.

I have actively monitored the Device Manager and can see that it's refreshing every time I hear the device connect/disconnect sound, but I don't see any devices appearing or disappearing in the list...

So frustrating!!!

I found the culprit. In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, there is 1 Generic USB Hub after the disconnect event, then there are two after the connect event. There is one Generic USB Hub that is connecting and disconnecting. I disabled it and that resolved the issue. Going to work on identifying exactly what it is...probably one of my case front panel USB hubs...

I have the same problem but it is worse

My mouse stops working and then I hear a device disconnecting. After the disconnect sound, the mouse works again. This goes on again and again over the course of my computing. I too have disconnected all the USB devices NOT connected directly to the computer, but nothing has yet helped. I do not see any changes within the USB Controllers.

In the Human Interface devices, there were 6 entries. When the mouse froze all but two USB Input devices disappeared. I deleted one of the two USB Input devices and the HID-compliant devices never came back. Later on the HID-compliant consumer control came back. They disappear when the mouse freezes.

This stuff is beyond my level of understanding. If someone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Back