Windows 8 CONTEXT MENU MALWARE

Zuce

Screenshot_2.png

I right clicked on a screenshot I took. This context menu looks similar for almost any program. The most important part of this menu is the "Show how to open this file" part.

I have no idea what this is, and when I click it, it brings me to this page:
PNG File Extension - What is a png file and how do I open a png file?

That page just tells me what a PNG file is and how should I open it. I really want that thing to go away. It bothers me, and doesn't let me do my personal work, in fright that I will be tracked or keylogged.

If anybody can help me remove this annoying malware, please reply to this thread.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 460
Nevermind, I figured out how to solve the problem by myself.
Installing WinZIP installs that piece of (something I don't want to say).

I simply went to Programs and Features and uninstalled it, it's called "File Association Helper".
Not Malware I don't think.

when first installing, the newest version (16.2.0.0) of 7-zip is kinda' invasive also … seems the default setting places a myriad of options in the context-menu. best to research on the internet … acceptable method of configuring the software's options. each user is different … so 7-zip's versatility 'n productivity are welcome.

as to whether or not you inadvertently d/l something nasty … hopefully you copy/paste'd the url for the copy of winzip you chose to download and inserted that into virus-total's website … it's free online service. and again, once the software has finished downloading … again scan it with your personal sentries. also check installed programs interface and sort by date.

cheers

Probably not malware, but just as an FYI. Many of the right click entries will be stored in regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > * > Shell. Adding keys in here will create entries on the right click menu

Probably not malware, but just as an FYI. Many of the right click entries will be stored in regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > * > Shell. Adding keys in here will create entries on the right click menu

Thanks. Turns out it's just a program that WinZIP automatically installs during the WinZIP installation.

I switched to PeaZip it's a great software and it's free so I don't have to worry about WinZIP anymore. ;)
But thanks for the response anyway, Neemobeer.

Back
Top Bottom