Windows 7 Control Pannel doesn't save Settings OMG have been searching for nearly the whole day

FrickenWin7Bugs

Okay. I've been searching nearly for 6+ hours right now looking on how to get control panel settings to save.

The full story is games that use too much memory will eventually freeze and loop the last sound played which is extremely annoying when my volume is loud enough to hear and it's constantly making a buzzing noise with the only solution being holding down the power button and even if I do maange to get out with everything being laggy. I CANT END THE F***ing process, process tree, etc, i've tried using other programs. Anyways, that problem has lead me to yesterday uninstalling my Realtek High Definition Audio Driver and then I lost sound. All the way till this morning, I installed like 30+ drivers and uninstalled and I decided to get my drivers and utilities disk and configure the one that came with this computer.

There is still no audio. Why? In the bottom right hand corner there's the volume thing with a white "X" in a red circle saying no speakers or headphones are plugged in. No SH*t. I never use those for my laptop since it can just play sound...

I noticed nothing fricken saves anymore when I hit the button, two buttons to the right of the configuration lit up button, the one where you just tap it, not really pressing it and nothing saves in the Dell Audio by Realtek Interface, I could set to max volume, switch to another tab and go look at speaker/headphone, then it's set back to 0.

And after millions of searching people said that stereomix was disabled, I went to check and yes it was. Well, too bad cuz I can right click and hit enable 1,000,000 times and nothing fricken happens, there's no effect where it goes from disabled to enabled. It stays disabled, therefore not saving any of my settings and this proved to be true seeing all my other configurations in the sound settings in control pannel not saving after configuring them.

Finally, I was lead to the conclusion of my sound preference file(s) being corrupted. All those fixes are for macs. I'm on windows 7. Please someone help me find a fix for this. I've been downloading like 30 stereomix stuff for realtek and until earlier I found that the settings wouldn't change no matter what, so all the downloading was wasted until I could enable stereomix and set it as default. OF COURSe, I can't set it to default if I can't even enable it..

Here's my computer specs:

Dell
Dell XPS L502X
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20 Ghz
4 GB of RAM
Intel HD Graphics Family
Nvidia Geforce GT 540 M
Intel (R) Display Audio
Realtek High Defintion Audio

Well, never going to trust updating my stuff again especially how I'm using the drivers from the "legitmate" drivers and utilities disk that came with my prebuilt laptop. Hopefully this is just a corruption of some preference files and not the drivers. I'd be pretty dissapointed if they gave me crappy drivers that didn't work...

So yea. Here's some pictures and I want to get sound back asap. My audio is muted right now, can't edit video files, can't hear in games, and can't f***ing watch youtube videos, can't do much....

2ibp0lj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Control Pannel doesn't save Settings OMFG have been searching for nearly the whole day

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from the actual vendors website? Like you pointed out, using the media disc that came with a device can become corroupted/damaged in some way. It's all ways better to download directly from the vendors.

Re: Control Pannel doesn't save Settings OMFG have been searching for nearly the whole day

Also...something to check. I just had a similar issue with videos not playing on FB...turns out my temporary files/cache was full or just jacked up. What worked for me was to delete all temproray files. In IE9, click the cog wheel, internet options, browsing history click delete making sure that temporary, cookies and history are ticked and click delete....might hlep.

Also...something to check. I just had a similar issue with videos not playing on FB...turns out my temporary files/cache was full or just jacked up. What worked for me was to delete all temproray files. In IE9, click the cog wheel, internet options, browsing history click delete making sure that temporary, cookies and history are ticked and click delete....might hlep.

Hm. IF only if it was that simple. I need to find a way to get the configuration settings to be saved in the sound in control panel. That's all or stereomixer to be activated. I can play videos fine, just no sound. The sound is muted on here and when I hit the mute/unmute button or I double click the sound button in the bottom right hand tray, it pops up this window called "Playing Audio" and it's trying to detect problems, but each time it says this at the end "Audio Device is Disabled - Not Fixed"

Another thing, with notebooks, it's best to obtain drivers from the OEM & not the component driver/support sites, nor MS update (except for Windows 8 CP/RP Beta testers). I once downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver from their site, installed it, and it screwed up my configuration, rather than updated it.

Fortunately, I had just created a disk image a couple of days beforehand, this bailed me out.

Cat

Another thing, with notebooks, it's best to obtain drivers from the OEM & not the component driver/support sites, nor MS update (except for Windows 8 CP/RP Beta testers). I once downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver from their site, installed it, and it screwed up my configuration, rather than updated it.

Fortunately, I had just created a disk image a couple of days beforehand, this bailed me out.

Cat

I've downloaded like 7 drivers from realtek, 10 from dell, and reinstalled the one from the drivers and utlities cd like 6 times. This is getting pretty furstrating. Yea, nvidia one time messed me up since I downloaded a desktop and not laptop driver. Lol.

But right now, I need to know how to fix up the preference file that is corrupted or somehow make it work. I'm pretty sure for everyone else, that you can enable your stereo mixer, but not me. All the rare bugs that take a long time to fix always happen to me, I guess it's cuz they don't happen enough, they have to screw me over at the most important times. It's summer I was working on a video just yesterday in sony vegas and now I have no sound. Good thing I have my old xp, but man. I have many other things to do on this windows 7. I hope someone can help me find a suitable driver or something. If I hadn't stated this earlier, the one from the driver and utlities is:

Realtek High Defintion Audio Driver 6.0.1.6312 x 64 Edition

Hope someone can help me by tomorrow morning. I'll thank them very much.

EDIT:
Also, now in the playback tab of sound in control panel.
Despite the speakers being ready with a green check.

The Realtek Digital Output is now ready, no green check, but better than saying not plugged in when it's built into my laptop. That's just ridiculous, probably this new driver is doing the stuff, but is this closer to regaining my sound? I hope so.

Also, under both of them are "Realtek High Defintion Audio"
With speakers being default device. Nothing works on right click, so I can't disable it, configure it, or even set the Realtek Digital Output as default stuff.

Last edited:

What's even more ridiculous is how I can double click into the Stereo Mix, change it from "Don't use this device (disabled" to "Use this device (enabled)", hit apply. Hit OK. NOTHING HAPPENS. THE CONFIGURATIONS DON'T F***ING SAVE!!!!!

Anyone? It's been a day, I really want sound back on my computer. :mad:

I think this is essential in telling, but: In Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound, no matter how many times I hit configure with speaker or realtek hd output selected, nothing happens. I can click into their properties and there's nothign in the levels tab, NOTHING. Like blank white paper. Same with the levels in general and the realtek audio interface thing when I hit the WAVES MAXXAUDIO3 button next to the button that is next to the configuration button, well these aren't buttons but like those light up things where you tap it and it pops up. I think I'm gonna do research on this WAVES MAXXAUDIO3, I never noticed it before. With my pc specs and laptop model, I think someone should be able to find a fix for this issue.

Seriously... No one knows how to help me?
Yes, I'm going to offer help, but you may not like what you're going to hear, if so please disregard.

Had you been backing up your computer with one of the many 100% Free options, you wouldn't be in this situation. Todo 4.5 & Macrium Reflect are both free & effective backup programs. I prefer Todo, because it offers file/data backups in addition to disk imaging, plus it made life easy for me when transferring my backup to my SSD. The program has an "Optimize for SSD" during the recovery phase, so that the user doesn't have to go through the "diskpart" procedure. Acronis TI Home 2011 & 2012 offers a similar feature, only those are paid programs, not free.

Now, to solve your issue. Install Todo 4.5 from here & backup all of your items of importance to a Flash drive, CD/DVD's, or preferably if large amounts, an external drive. Make sure to delete any garbage not needed & burn your recovery CD for Todo.

Then, going by the instructions in your manual, go through the re-install process. It's normally accessed by one of the "F" keys. This will format your "C" partition, & when through, the install should be like when taken out of the box. Note that by now, unless you have a hardware issue to be addressed, your sound should work. If not, contact Dell's Customer Service for Warranty assistance.

Assuming that your sound does work, then spend a while updating your OS. DO NOT INSTALL any other software at this point. After it's completely updated, remove any unwanted software (using Revo Uninstaller, it's OK to install this), defrag the OS, run a Full Scan with either Windows Defender or better yet, the ESET Online Scanner, get it here.

ESET :: Get a FREE Online Virus Scan

Use IE for best results & more options on scan control. No other browser should yet be installed anyway.

Now, assuming everything is in working order, install either Todo 4.5 or Macrium Reflect & backup your computer, making sure to do a Full Disk image. What this will do is create a backup that will be equal to a fresh install, one that you can fall back on. And won't have to remove all of that unwanted crapware again.

Easeus Todo Backup Free - CNET Download.com

Once this is complete, restore your documents & reinstall your programs. It would also be good to do another backup at this point, always keep the 1st one, and the last one. Either before or after Update Tuesday each month, create a new backup, this gives you the latest recovery point available to you, while the computer is in good working order.

This may not be the answer you want, but had you already done so, this would have been over with & done.

And I cannot stress enough for you to begin a backup routine. Computers, like other items, has issues from time to time, this is why you need to do a monthly backup. And remember, always hold onto that 1st one, as it gives you a "clean slate" whenever needed.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:

Still sounds like something is still corrupted in the registry. With the reinstall of your OS, did you select the box for "recommended" MS updates, which will and does install windows 7 drivers for some hardware not native to the system....ie webcams, sound cards and graphics cards. A reinstall of the OS not having that box ticked, and you manually installing the drivers directly from the vendors website might be in order. Other than that I'm out of ideas...

Good thing I didn't check this thread earlier or else I would've restored my computer all for nothing. Thanks for offering help though.

Here's the solution I found:

[SOLVED] No Sound, the unsolvable problem... take the challenge? - Tech Support Forum

go to start search and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this
and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type:-

net localgroup
Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup
Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press
enter and restart your computer

Back