Windows 7 Could this be a new way to uninstall Internet Explorer for good.

Andrea Borman

Honorable Member
I dislike Internet Explorer browser. It is so slow and backwards in the world of software compared to browsers like Flock and Google Chrome which are far more advanced and better than IE. which a lot of people including my self dislike it enough to want it gone from their computer completely. turning it off in Windows features setting does NOT get rid of it it only disables it. But I have successfully managed to get rid of IE permanently.

That is I have uninstalled IE by deleting the file,Internet Explorer 9 from my computer. This is what I did,I had to change the ownership of the IE file on c/program files( program files on my computer disk) from Trusted Installer to my name. Then I deleted the file Internet Explorer completely with the help of a tool called UNLOCKER downloaded from the Internet. This removes any file that is difficult or impossible to remove. Now Internet Explorer is gone from my system forever as even if some one else tried to download it again it will not work anymore and all they will get is an empty file WITHOUT IE browser. But all my IE files have been deleted by me,but nothing on my computer has been effected by this change. Everything on my 2 laptops that I have is working,Windows updates yes,I am still getting them,windows media etc all working good. And what is even more interesting is that Green browser and Deepnet Explorer that are said to run off of Ie are all still working without IE.

So it seems that browsers such as Green browser and Avant browser do not run off of IE they run from a component in Windows,so are still working,on my computers anyway.But what I have done has definitely uninstalled Internet Explorer and I do not regret removing IE. There is nothing about Internet Explorer that I miss and as i have several other browsers installed,getting online is no problem. It has been said that if you do uninstall IE Windows could stop working. I have Windows 7 a netbook that I upgraded from Starter to Ultimate. And this method of removing IE by deleting the file on your hard drive works in Windows 7. You cannot uninstall IE the same way you can with Firefox for example as it is not listed in uninstall programs menu. But you can by deleting the files in computer programs,delete the file delete the program/browser.IE cannot even be uninstalled though updates,except if you upgraded to IE9 then if you uninstall IE9 update you get IE8 back. But when I upgraded to IE9 which I hated I could not even uninstall the update to get back to IE8. IE9 has more problems than IE8 as it is a beta version and I could not even revert it back to IE8 like it was supposed to do.

Another reason for uninstalling IE completly. But I love windows software and Windows 7 is very user friendly. but as there are so many good web browsers that work with Windows and Windows 7 and some are made for Windows only. Such as Pale Moon which is Firefoxes open source. So why does windows have to be bundled with Internet Explorer anyway? As most people do not use it much nowdays,as we have much better browsers. I am posting this to let people know that it can be done I have uninstalled Internet Explorer from my system and my computers both of them are still working as the same as before. The only difference is that I no longer have Internet Explorer browser anymore. This method of uninstall works with Windows 7 but I do not know if it is all right to do it with Windows Vista or Windows Xp or older versions of Windows. As they may depend more on IE to run than Windows 7 does. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
:p I dislike Internet Explorer browser. It is so slow and backwards in the world of software compared to browsers like Flock and Google Chrome which are far more advanced and better than IE. which a lot of people including my self dislike it enough to want it gone from their computer completely. turning it off in Windows features setting does NOT get rid of it it only disables it. But I have successfully managed to get rid of IE permanently. That is I have uninstalled IE by deleting the file,Internet Explorer 9 from my computer. This is what I did,I had to change the ownership of the IE file on c/program files( program files on my computer disk) from Trusted Installer to my name. Then I deleted the file Internet Explorer completely with the help of a tool called UNLOCKER downloaded from the Internet. This removes any file that is difficult or impossible to remove. Now Internet Explorer is gone from my system forever as even if some one else tried to download it again it will not work anymore and all they will get is an empty file WITHOUT IE browser. But all my IE files have been deleted by me,but nothing on my computer has been effected by this change. Everything on my 2 laptops that I have is working,Windows updates yes,I am still getting them,windows media etc all working good. And what is even more interesting is that Green browser and Deepnet Explorer that are said to run off of Ie are all still working without IE. So it seems that browsers such as Green browser and Avant browser do not run off of IE they run from a component in Windows,so are still working,on my computers anyway.But what I have done has definitely uninstalled Internet Explorer and I do not regret removing IE. There is nothing about Internet Explorer that I miss and as i have several other browsers installed,getting online is no problem. It has been said that if you do uninstall IE Windows could stop working. I have Windows 7 a netbook that I upgraded from Starter to Ultimate. And this method of removing IE by deleting the file on your hard drive works in Windows 7. You cannot uninstall IE the same way you can with Firefox for example as it is not listed in uninstall programs menu. But you can by deleting the files in computer programs,delete the file delete the program/browser.IE cannot even be uninstalled though updates,except if you upgraded to IE9 then if you uninstall IE9 update you get IE8 back. But when I upgraded to IE9 which I hated I could not even uninstall the update to get back to IE8. IE9 has more problems than IE8 as it is a beta version and I could not even revert it back to IE8 like it was supposed to do. Another reason for uninstalling IE completly. But I love windows software and Windows 7 is very user friendly. but as there are so many good web browsers that work with Windows and Windows 7 and some are made for Windows only. Such as Pale Moon which is Firefoxes open source. So why does windows have to be bundled with Internet Explorer anyway? As most people do not use it much nowdays,as we have much better browsers. I am posting this to let people know that it can be done I have uninstalled Internet Explorer from my system and my computers both of them are still working as the same as before. The only difference is that I no longer have Internet Explorer browser anymore. This method of uninstall works with Windows 7 but I do not know if it is all right to do it with Windows Vista or Windows Xp or older versions of Windows. As they may depend more on IE to run than Windows 7 does. Andrea Borman.
Yes,it IS possible to uninstall Internet Explorer browser on Windows 7 AND still have a working system.

So it seems that browsers such as Green browser and Avant browser do not run off of IE they run from a component in Windows,so are still working,on my computers anyway.But what I have done has definitely uninstalled Internet Explorer and I do not regret removing IE.

The IE executable and its associated files in Program Files are not the only way IE runs. You will find the DLL and other associated files for Internet Explorer throughout the Windows system directory, which programs like Avant Browser utilize to function and call the frame. The core files exist in multiple manifests and so forth, which may be difficult to delete, however I am not sure if doing so would thereby make the system unstable. Since Internet Explorer 6, they called for making the browser more modular to get it away from crashing the entire kernel if someone hit a bad site or something went wrong. Trying to explain this concept, that IE7 was mostly independent of the operating system, even in Windows XP, was like trying to teach a dog calculus. While I am sure you have rendered IE totally dissolved from any type of use on your system - I am willing to bet that files still exist and/or are embedded throughout the operating system, that would allow you to call up the required components to launch it with a custom-built program once more.

Why would you want to take IE out permantly when there are other browsers that you could download and use? I also don't understand just why you felt the IE9 beta caused more problems than IE8. I have been using IE9 for awhile now and find IE9 better than IE8. I had some problems when first installed but have been able to fix that with the help of Windows 7 forum. The one problem I did run into and was able to fix was that one of the programs I had was not updated. Once that was done I prefer IE9. As of now everything is running smoothly. A few minor quirks but nothing that interferes with what I am doing.

Agreeable with Mike here.

Anything is possible with the correct understanding of how things work.

That being said, I would like to discourage anyone from trying to "remove" or "delete" I.E. That is only asking for an unstable OS.

Simply don't use it if you don't like it. Much better course of action.

I have searched my files on the computer hard drive and all the files named Internet Explorer are not there they have been deleted and I never made any copies of them. I think you are right in that Windows does have a software component that is the same one used in the Internet Explorer browser. But I did not touch the Windows files although I looked in there and in the Microsoft files but I did not see Internet Explorer. And may I add you should never delete or try to alter the Windows files as this contains the copy of windows and to delete this is to delete windows. But in my case I only deleted the browser,Internet Explorer and maybe files associated with it. And also when I tested it out to see if IE could work on my computer again.

When I try to turn it on in windows a file is put back in program files but it is empty a dummy file. And try to click on the IE icon and the browser does not work anymore. And I just deleted that dummy file.And when my friend tried downloading it again,the icon was put back in the start menu but ,nothing no browser. So IE is dead on my system and it will never work on my computer again. It could be because I changed the ownership of the file from Trusted Installer to my name and also I have removed all software parts relating to the IE browser. But as I mentioned as long as you have got other browsers,you can still get onto the Internet. Of course Flock, Safefox and Google Chrome and my other Mozilla browsers do not use IEs Trident engine so they are not effected. And also my other IE engine based browser Green browser and Aol Explorer and my others are too all working. Also even Avant browser is working despite Internet Explorer not being there anymore.After all in Europe they have been shipping Windows 7 computers and laptops WITHOUT the Internet Explorer browser and I think they have put Firefox or Google chrome on there instead. So it is possible to run windows 7 without the Internet explorer browser.Yes,there could be a part of software in Windows that is also used in Internet Explorer but I am sure it is not the browser. And as I have only uninstalled the browser,that is why my computer is not effected.

Last edited:
Agreeable with Mike here.

Anything is possible with the correct understanding of how things work.

That being said, I would like to discourage anyone from trying to "remove" or "delete" I.E. That is only asking for an unstable OS.

Simply don't use it if you don't like it. Much better course of action.

You are quite right,if you do not know what you are doing you do risk damaging Windows or the operating system by uninstalling Internet Explorer. It could be in older versions of Windows,that they depend more on IE to function. But I have Windows 7. I took the high risk option and have got away with it. And I do not regret getting rid of IE one little bit as you don't have to have Firefox if you don't like it. So why must all Windows computers have to have Internet Explorer?

I understand that some are absolutely determined at removing IE. As a website developer, I still depend on nearly every browser and OS to make sure it looks good on all of them. If it were not for this, I would likely neatly hide IE on my system, or remove it the proper way simply by removing Windows components in Windows 7. This seems to be easy enough to do, so I am not sure why some people must absolutely have it completely purged on their system. Of course, to each his own. I am sure as Windows gets better in future versions, they may look at better ways to get rid of built-in programs better. Windows 7 saw the removal of Windows Mail (i.e. Outlook Express), Movie Maker, and a number of other programs that normally came with the OS. Instead these are now optional download through Windows Live, which to me, is very acceptable.

Hello Mike, and thank you for replying to my post. Windows 7 is the best operating system to have as it is very easy to use for beginners like me who have never owned a laptop before. And so I used to use Internet cafes before I got my laptop a Windows 7 netbook this year. And I now have 2 netbooks both with Internet Explorer removed.

Windows 7 is also much more user friendly than the previous versions of Windows and also starts up much quicker.And the settings are clearly listed unlike in a Windows XP laptop I used from a friend once. The software is excellent in every way except for the browser Internet Explorer which is slow and does not work as well as most other browsers.

And it seems silly to bundle IE with Windows and sort of make it mandatory for every Windows user to have,when in a Mac computer this is not the case. As Safari, their browser used in their system can be removed without effecting the software.And most Windows users do not like or use IE anyway, a lot use Firefox or Google Chrome.Of course you must have a web browser to get online. So if Windows did not come with IE they would have to put another browser in instead.This is already being done in Europe,some Windows 7 computers and laptops are being shipped without IE.But I am very lucky in that I knew what I was doing when I removed IE and it has been removed to the extent that it cannot even be installed again. I have tested this out too, but my system has not suffered because of the IE removal,but I will never be able to install or use IE on those computers again. Because I think I removed it to that degree.But as long as you have other web browsers on your computer that should not matter as you can still get onto the Internet. But I would never alter or delete anything in the WINDOWS file in programs on my hard drive. As that contains my copy of Windows and to touch this would put Windows out of action.

But both my laptops are working because I only uninstalled the browser,Internet Explorer. There could be a software component in Windows that is the same one used in IE but this has got nothing to do with the browser. And this will not launch IE or get IE back.Well it does not seem that way on my computers.Anyway,thanks for taking an interest in my post. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Yes,it is possible to still have a good operating system without Internet Explorer.
Hello Mike, and thank you for replying to my post. Windows 7 is the best operating system to have as it is very easy to use for beginners like me who have never owned a laptop before. And so I used to use Internet cafes before I got my laptop a Windows 7 netbook this year. And I now have 2 netbooks both with Internet Explorer removed. Windows 7 is also much more user friendly than the previous versions of Windows and also starts up much quicker.And the settings are clearly listed unlike in a Windows XP laptop I used from a friend once. The software is excellent in every way except for the browser Internet Explorer which is slow and does not work as well as most other browsers. And it seems silly to bundle IE with Windows and sort of make it mandatory for every Windows user to have,when in a Mac computer this is not the case. As Safari, their browser used in their system can be removed without effecting the software.And most Windows users do not like or use IE anyway, a lot use Firefox or Google Chrome.Of course you must have a web browser to get online. So if Windows did not come with IE they would have to put another browser in instead.This is already being done in Europe,some Windows 7 computers and laptops are being shipped without IE.But I am very lucky in that I knew what I was doing when I removed IE and it has been removed to the extent that it cannot even be installed again. I have tested this out too, but my system has not suffered because of the IE removal,but I will never be able to install or use IE on those computers again. Because I think I removed it to that degree.But as long as you have other web browsers on your computer that should not matter as you can still get onto the Internet. But I would never alter or delete anything in the WINDOWS file in programs on my hard drive. As that contains my copy of Windows and to touch this would put Windows out of action. But both my laptops are working because I only uninstalled the browser,Internet Explorer. There could be a software component in Windows that is the same one used in IE but this has got nothing to do with the browser. And this will not launch IE or get IE back.Well it does not seem that way on my computers.Anyway,thanks for taking an interest in my post. Andrea Borman.

Back
Top Bottom