Windows 7 couple of probs

billyc99

Honorable Member
Hello all, so happy to be a member of this great forum. Two problems that i am having at the moment. 1. Upon booting, boot is good, somewhat fast though I receive a splash screen telling me "Install failed"; i check okay and voila, no problem...just irritating. 2. shut down is really slow. I am dual booting WinXP and Win7RC(ultimate build 7100). PROC: 2.07GHz AMD AthlonXP, MOBO: Gigabyte-GA-7VM400AM(F), Bus clock: 167 MHz; MEM: Slot "A0" has 1024 MB, Slot "A1" has 512 MB. I had reinstalled Win7RC as i was having some other issues. I can boot into Winxp fine and it does not feel sluggish when shutting down. Win7 is very sluggish. Any ideas out there. Thanks in advance for your help and cheers and beers to all:p

Was this an upgrade or a "clean' install of Windows 7?

Seems Vista drivers and other files are causing conflicts.

reghakr, this was a "clean" install. What seems strange to me though is that when i installed, Win7 seemed to have made it's own partition...my version of WinXP was left alone. I know that i clicked on the "custom install" button when installing. Id ownloaded the "regclean" program shown in the advert on this site and am shown 159 errors in the registry. Would you recommend that i use this program to try and clean up the registry? Thanks for your quick response. cheers and beers!

Never run a reg cleaning program immaculately after install especially one of those advertisements.

If you're having problems I would wipe out the whole installation and start from scrath.

You only need a good anti-virus program, spyware detector, and personal firewall.

Do not run these immediately, wait until you install some of the 3rd party installations you will probably make.

Okay reghakr, i'll take your advice. I'll do some troubleshooting here shortly. I pre-ordred the Windows7 Professional several months ago and will wait until its' arrival before doing a clean install again. How's that Nova 383 SS runnin'? I had a Mustang 289 many years ago and it ran like a scalded dog...bought when i came back from Viet Nam in 1969. Thanks again. cheers and beers.

Great, you only have to wait a couple days (although I hear some are getting them sooner.

The 383 Nova runs great. I can't even do a burnout without power breaking a new suspension setup makes it take right off. It's built for drag racing.

Back