Windows 7 CPU Usage 80-100% constantly

swapy7

Hello friends, I am new to this forum. I have HP Pavilion dv6-2150us, owning since Jan 2010. Recently I have started facing this weird problem. When I switch ON my laptop, for the first 10-15mins the CPU usage constantly remains between 80 and 100% and after 15mins, it comes to normal (0 - 50%).
I am using licensed antivirus (Quick Heal total security) and have automatic updates enabled. I scan my laptop regularly and till now I have not faced any problem.

All the processes in Task Bar are fine as after 10-15mins, when the CPU usage comes to normal (0 - 50%) even then the processes use same memory.
I would be glad if anyone has solution for this as I do not want to format my pc.

Thanks.

Usually something like that is being caused by something scanning your system, or using the internet to update or something similar.

If you use Task Manager, go to Processes, select "Show Processes from all users" then click the top of the CPU column so as to show the most activity at the top. When something pops showing a high CPU usage, click on it so you can track it.

If you can't find it that way, there are other tools.

Thanks for reply saltgrass. I did what you said, I think svchost is eating more than 100,000K memory. Now the cpu uptime is 20 mins and CPU usage is normal but still svchost is showing more than 100,000K. I have had problem with svchost since when I was using XP. Any solution to this matter?

Srvchost is just an envelope. Whatever is using the time is a process running within that envelope.

If you want to investigate further, you may want to download Process Explorer for System Internals. With it, you can determine which process is causing the problem.

If you want to get some good information about how to use it, and other trouble shooting utilities, check the following site.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom