Windows 7 Crackling/ static sound from audio? Tried diff drivers/ soundcards..

dav567

I have not been able to find a solution after over a week of looking for one now. I've spoken to several HP technicians and browsed multiple forums and have tried every suggestion recommended.

I get a crackling/ static sound coming from my speakers when playing audio. I have tried the laptop speakers, headphones, and 2 different external sound cards and get the same problem from all, so I have ruled out the hardware as being the problem. I have updated every single driver on my computer and even the latest BIOS and still have the problem. I've ran the driver installation files in Vista compatibility mode too. I didn't have this problem with Vista. I've also tested all the cables I've tried on another machine and they all work 100% so its not the cables either :/

Pleasse helpp me..

I have an HP Pavilion DV4-1275MX running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Thanks.

UPDATE****

Ok I was able to get one of the external usb sound cards working (creative x-fi surround 5.1) without static by removing the "latest drivers" that were installed by windows update and installing it after downloading it directly from the product's support website. Now that same solution wouldnt work for anything else since I was already downloading the drivers for everything else directly from the support websites of each. I guess I'll have to do with that one alone for now.

Btw the other sound cards that I have (with each of their latest updates and drivers) are the Turtle Beach Audio advantage Micro USB card and the onboard audio for the laptop itself.

Last edited:
Oh yea that too. I've tried a whole bunch of different cables that I've tested with other computers and they work 100% so all the cables I have are good.

no i didnt have this problem with previous versions of windows and yes hp support did give me a link for the correct driver (Link Removed - Invalid URL)

ok i have one external card working

Ok I was able to get one of the external usb sound cards working (creative x-fi surround 5.1) without static by removing the "latest drivers" that were installed by windows update and installing it after downloading it directly from the product's support website. Now that same solution wouldnt work for anything else since I was already downloading the drivers for everything else directly from the support websites of each. I guess I'll have to do with that one alone for now.

Btw the other sound cards that I have (with each of their latest updates and drivers) are the Turtle Beach Audio advantage Micro USB card and the onboard audio for the laptop itself.

Do you have a sound card built in to your mother board as well? I had the same issue once where the on board sound and the sound card were fighting/conflicting and creating the static too. It happened with a change of BIOS or resetting the BIOS or something like that. I turned off the on board sound in the BIOS so only the sound card was working and all was good.

Cheers.

Yea theres a sound card built into the motherboard and I've navigated through the BIOS settings and there arent many options to edit so how would I go about turning off the on board sound through the BIOS?? The only way I've tried disabling it is through the playback devices list in the control panel>sound menu.. Thanks

Hey Guys I have the same problem with my daughters laptop, works ok with Vista and XP but after a few days of installing 7 the static comes. I read somewhere that a bios update could solve it but I aint got that far as yes.

Basher

Yea theres a sound card built into the motherboard and I've navigated through the BIOS settings and there arent many options to edit so how would I go about turning off the on board sound through the BIOS?? The only way I've tried disabling it is through the playback devices list in the control panel>sound menu.. Thanks
On my Dell there was a setting in the BIOS to turn the onboard sound on or off. No other settings, just on and off. As Basher suggested maybe there is a BIOS update you could do as well. I suppose you could also temporarily remove your other sound card and try the on board sound to see if the problem disappears. This may help to identify if it is a hardware issue anyway.

Sorry I don't have much else to offer.

This isn't a driver problem (for me), because I have the same cracking sound using the onboard sound card AND using different USB sound cards.

The problem occurs in any music player (in Windows Media Player, or Winamp).

The sound crackles and stutters when the CPU is busy. That is, when I open a Web page, or start a program, I hear pops and garbled sound if I’m playing music.

Here's what I've tried:

Installed the latest drivers.
Tried using 2 different external sound cards.
Installed the Codec lite pack .
Disabled speaker effects (enhancements).
Reset the BIOS to the factory default settings.
Flashed the system BIOS

A reboot fixes the problem, but then it eventually comes back.

I hate this because I love listening to music while I work.

Thanks LOADS for any suggestions!!

Specs:

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Sound: NVIDIA (Relatek) High Definition Audio
Processor Intel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
Browser MSIE 8.0
System OS Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Mobo P5QL PRO ASUSTeK Computer INC Version Rev 1.xx
Main Board BIOS American Megatrends Inc. BIOS Date: 03/12/09 10:04:29 Ver: 08.00.14 A_M_I_ - 3000912 20090312
Processor Clock Speed 2330 Mhz
Graphics Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Memory Configuration 2048+2048+2048+2048;DIMM DDR Synchronous
DVD-RAM Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller

Are you sure you looked carefully in the BIOS.

There usually is a way to disable on board sound.

I wonder if it's the windows install itself... Did you upgrade or perform a clean install when installing win 7?

Hey folks,

thanks for reading my posts!

1. There appears to be no option in the BIOS to disable onboard sound, but when I used the external USB sound card, would I not have bypassed the onboard (I still got the same noise).

2. I installed Windows 7 from scratch on a new computer.

Thanks again for the thoughts!!

Hi Darryl,
I read through your post again hoping for some clues but the only thing I could see as a possible is that you have the sound Device labeled as Nvidia hardware which it isn't as it's a 'Realtek' chip. This started me to wonder if you have the correct drivers as well as are all other drivers updated too? Remember that drivers for the chipset are equally as important as graphics and sound.

Thanks kemical!

I'm puzzled by the NVIDIA\Realtek label also but that's how it was identified by PCPitstop's overdrive scan, and Device Manager shows exactly the same thing:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek Realtek High Definition Audio

I do have the latest Realtek drivers installed, and I think I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (for video), but I'm not really sure what the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" device is. I'm assuming it's an onboard chip related to the realtek device.

I Looked at the CD that came with the MoBo and the only mention of Audio Driver is the Realtek HD Audio Driver v5.10.0.5745. No mention of anything NVIDIA at all. I tried deleing the NVIDIA High Definition Audio items but they just reappear at next boot. I tried disabling them, but that had no affect at all on the system or the problem.

Beffuddled!!!

it probably belongs to the graphics card.. Like the ATI card. I go into the device manager and disable mine as it gives more performance..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good luck getting this resolved. I gave up on my system after replacing every component including the motherboard and Power Supply. So I foolishly went out and bought a new computer. An HP HPE-150f running Windows 7 x64. Guess what? Exactly the same problem. The only common factor is Windows 7 x64. The only workaround is to reboot the computer several times a day.

Good luck getting this resolved. I gave up on my system after replacing every component including the motherboard and Power Supply. So I foolishly went out and bought a new computer. An HP HPE-150f running Windows 7 x64. Guess what? Exactly the same problem. The only common factor is Windows 7 x64. The only workaround is to reboot the computer several times a day.

Probably the same antivirus you've been using that is causing it.

Uninstall whichever it is in safe mode using the tool at the following link then reboot and install MSE:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

What you're describing is a memory leak situation and nothing at all to do with Windows being at fault in any way.

Thanks kemical!

I'm puzzled by the NVIDIA\Realtek label also but that's how it was identified by PCPitstop's overdrive scan, and Device Manager shows exactly the same thing:

Realtek Realtek High Definition Audio

I do have the latest Realtek drivers installed, and I think I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (for video), but I'm not really sure what the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" device is. I'm assuming it's an onboard chip related to the realtek device.

I Looked at the CD that came with the MoBo and the only mention of Audio Driver is the Realtek HD Audio Driver v5.10.0.5745. No mention of anything NVIDIA at all. I tried deleing the NVIDIA High Definition Audio items but they just reappear at next boot. I tried disabling them, but that had no affect at all on the system or the problem.

Beffuddled!!!

The realtek driver would be on the mothervboard.

Do you also have a video card in a PCI slot (check the back of the compter to see if you have more than 1 video outputs?

Back
Top Bottom