Windows 7 Crash Dump Anaysis

bsavoie

I'm hoping someone can analyze a couple BSOD's I've had recently. They've caught me quite off guard, and I've lost more work than I care to admit!

I'm guessing it has something to do with my Samsung/Android phone. I often plug it in via the USB cable. I'm simply trying to charge the phone, but it insists on turning it into a virtual drive. I always click "no" to those questions when it asks. Maybe it's my imagination, but the BSOD seems to have happened around the time I unplug the phone.

Dumps attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 032213-40076-01.dmp
    282.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 032713-32947-01.dmp
    282.3 KB · Views: 185
You should have posted in BSOD section. Look there they have a tool there to list the hardware software on your PC.
Joe

I will try to look at your files when I have my other system up, but for now, are you running anything that is designed to charge the phone faster? Are you using a special port to plug it in?

When the device is plugged in, you might check the how it is shown. My iPhone shows up as a portable device, but if yours shows us as some type of storage, you might check the Policy tab to see if there is a way to set it for Quick Removal or Better Performance and for testing, change it.

Also USB situations might be related to the Bios. Have you checked for any updates?

I will try to look at your files when I have my other system up, but for now, are you running anything that is designed to charge the phone faster? Are you using a special port to plug it in?

When the device is plugged in, you might check the how it is shown. My iPhone shows up as a portable device, but if yours shows us as some type of storage, you might check the Policy tab to see if there is a way to set it for Quick Removal or Better Performance and for testing, change it.

Also USB situations might be related to the Bios. Have you checked for any updates?

Thanks for the response. I will look into your excellent questions. It is quite possible I should be shutting down the USB connection before unplugging. I had not thought about that.

It seems the dump file is pointing at vmwvhub.sys for the Blue Screens. This may not mean that actual driver is the problem, but probably involved in some way. Is this a Virtual USB hub driver?

The driver spsys.sys is not mentioned directly, but it has been unloaded many times which might help lead to some situation.

Make sure and check the event viewer for messages around the time of the BSODs to see if anything is mentioned. You will see Kernel Power messages, which are normal during an event.

Hopefully someone with more experience with Dump files will come along to help.

If the vmwvhub.sys is a VMware process then check for updates to that software. You might also check their forum it's very good.
Joe

Awesome. Thanks, very helpful. I did just buy a new powered USB hub a few weeks ago, which is what I plug the phone into. I didn't think that they used their own driver, I always thought they used the Windows USB drivers.

Back