Windows 7 Createive X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB sound issues

Parastie

The device is sort of working. I'm getting 5.1 surround, however the bass channel is heavily distorted. To enable the sub, I must go through the Windows 7 sound configuration. Control Panel->Sound, choose my sound card, then click configure. I must then tell the computer that my speakers are not 'full range' and this allows me to enable bass redirect through the Console Launcher, however the sound on the bass channel is distorted.

I believe it's a conflict between the windows 7 sound controls and the Vista drivers. Anyone else have this problem?

The device is sort of working. I'm getting 5.1 surround, however the bass channel is heavily distorted. To enable the sub, I must go through the Windows 7 sound configuration. Control Panel->Sound, choose my sound card, then click configure. I must then tell the computer that my speakers are not 'full range' and this allows me to enable bass redirect through the Console Launcher, however the sound on the bass channel is distorted.

I believe it's a conflict between the windows 7 sound controls and the Vista drivers. Anyone else have this problem?

So how did you get the 5.1 Surround to work, I can only get the 2 front and sub to work.

I installed the latest Vista drivers along with the latest Console launcher. Then I used the Console Launcher to select 5.1 speakers. Everytime i disconnect the device or reboot I have to reselect. You should know that I'm using the analog out, not the digtial out.

If you're still having problems, try going into the control panel's sound selection, the choose the 5.1 surround, and click the configure button. You can choose 5.1 speakers in that window as well. You might have to go back tin the Console Launcher to choose the 5.1 surround for stereo audio, and you need to remember that the sub probably won't work or won't work correctly.

I have all that done but when I click the speaker icon on the console launcher, I get an error, don't know why that is.

Do you know which drivers you're using? Also, are you plaing a file that is encoded in 5.1, or are you playing a something in stereo?

possible solution

this link might help you guys sorry if it don't i havent read the whole thread

Working Sound Blaster X-Fi series Support Pack 1.0 - Windows 7 : Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility : Windows 7 Beta : Microsoft TechNet Forums

Creative Forum

Sound Blaster X-Fi series Support Pack 1.0

Supported X-Fi models:

- Creative SB X-Fi PCI (except Xtreme Audio)
- Creative SB X-Fi Titanium PCI-E
- Auzentech X-Fi Prelude

Operating Systems supported (32-bit and 64-bit editions):

- Windows XP
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Vista
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 7 Beta

Items that will be installed, depending on the detected card:

- Creative SB X-Fi series driver 2.18.0001.8
- Creative SB X-Fi Titanium series driver 2.17.0006.8 BETA
- Auzentech X-Fi Prelude driver 2.14.0001 RC8.1
- Creative Audio Control Panel 2.55.12
- Creative Console Launcher 2.60.35
- DDL and DTS Connect License Activation 2.00.03 (*)
- Dolby Digital Live Pack 3.00.00 (*)
- DTS Connect Pack 1.03.00 (*)
- SoundFont Bank Manager 3.20.34
- THX Console 3.00.22

(*) - purchase and activation required, except SB X-Fi Titanium and Auzentech X-Fi Prelude

Windows Security warning during driver installation

When prompted with:
"Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" choose "Install this driver software anyway".

List of Improvements and fixes

- CMSS works properly on Windows 7 Beta

- THX Console works with Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and other cards

- DTS Interactive encoder available on Windows XP

- All setup scripts were modified to detect Windows 7 Beta.

Windows MIDI Device Configuration Utility

Use this utility to change the MIDI playback device for 32-bit and
64-bit applications, including Windows Media Player.

Download:

Filename: XFI_SupportPack_1_0.exe
File size: 84.6 MB
CRC32 hash: 43225D94
MD5 hash: 76CBA45C9DF761FFBC8BD61D17B3D127
SHA-1 hash: 7BB68AF44C83CC65B7FB2EF4414FACEED4ECD015

Link Removed - Invalid URL

That is not for the X-fi Surround 5.1 USB. That only supports the devices listed and I've already tried it. :)

At the bottom of this page
Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL
is a Vista driver for the X-fi Surround 5.1. The bass and surround modes seem to work a little better, but the LFE channel is still heavily distorted. The only difference is it doesn't seem to pull bass so much from the other speakers leaving you with a fuller sound. Be sure to download the 'PAX X-Fi Surround 5.1 V1.00' also, you must uninstall all the previous software and drivers.

Once you've installed the PAX drivers, download and install the new Creative Console Launcher from here

Let me know what your luck is.

Last edited:
Creative consule

I don't believe that I am having problems with getting 5.1 sound. I am however having trouble with the creative consule launcher. I have installed and uninstalled a couple times and still nothing. Anyone else having this problem? It gives me a message stating that there is no device detected. HELP..... :)

I just finished my sound config after installing Windows 7 RC.i went to the Creative Site and downloaded Windows 7 Driver
Creative Worldwide - Select your region and country
Thats link to were i found it just follow the steps
Hence my sound is in 5.1 perfection.Also part of the driver download is a Creative Auto Software Update So my Creative Audio Console works perfect also. Hope this helps anyway :)

yes, noodles is right

here's a direct link:

Are you running this through computer speakers or a home theater 5.1 channel receiver?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool

I haven't yet installed windows 7 RC. I am downloading it at this moment. I'm glad to hear that it works. I'll try it soon. Thanks.

Make sure you burn the ISO at a very low speed, either 1x or 2x.

And the "clean" install route is the best choice.

Back