Windows 7 Creative Audigy 2 5.1 Soundcard - Front right speaker not working

tegansstuff

I updated from XP SP3 to Windows 7 Ultimate, making no changes to hardware/wiring, simply formatting my hard drive and giving it a fresh install of Windows 7. I allowed the updates to find all my drivers, and it found a driver for my sound card. However, no matter how I fiddle with the settings for it, there is no sound coming out of the front right speaker.

I uninstalled the drivers and installed the latest official one I could find from the Creative website, still no luck. I found an unofficial driver on the Creative forums and tried that, with exactly the same results - all speakers work as they should with only the front right not working.

I do not believe there is a hardware problem as I did not touch any of the hardware during installation, and the power/volume control is on the front right speaker and is working fine. I can even hear a really quiet hiss coming from the speaker, but no proper sound.

If anyone has any insight into this problem I would be glad to hear it. :confused::confused::confused:

Hi tegansstuff,
just in case you've missed these settings, checkout the screenshot. If the speaker settings are set for say 7.1 and your using a stereo set up then it will sound odd.. Hope this helps..

Thanks for the reply. I have Creative 5.1 speakers, which were plugged into my sound card correctly with XP, nothing changed with Windows 7. I have gone through those options in your screen shot and tested the individual speakers by clicking the little test thingies. They all work as they should apart from the front right :/

Only thing I can think of is to knock the volume down on the front speakers and start using the back ones as a stereo pair, at least until I can afford a new sound card that's more compatible :(

This is what I see in my device manager, don't have the original packaging :/ So no idea to be honest.
hvdj5w.png

Yes, that's what I feared :( It is a pretty old sound card I guess. Oh well, time to save up for a new one :(

Thanks for your help guys.

Back