Windows 7 Critical Error When Using EFS

monotoli

I'm using EFS to encrypt a few directories on my machine where I keep Java source code. Since I've starting using EFS I've noticed my Windows 7 has a tendency to pop the 'Encountered a problem and needs to restart' dialog and force me to restart in 30 sec. Here's the error entry from the Application Log:

Faulting application name: services.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc10e
Faulting module name: UBPM.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be06d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000001185
Faulting process id: 0x248
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb342a97ac48e5
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\services.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\UBPM.dll
Report Id: e110ad1a-a3af-11df-ace9-002215928cc2

It's worth noting that this log entry isn't exactly the same every time the crash occurs (the previous time had these fault paths:
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\javaw.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll)

The problem does seem to only occur, however, when there is heavy disk activity in the encrypted folders (ie when I run a build, pull down new changesets from the repo, run the application from eclipse, etc). I have a relatively fresh Windows 7 install (~3 weeks old on a brand new freshly formatted HD)

Windows Version: Ultimate - 6.1.7600 Build 7600

I'm using AVG Free for antivirus and have excluded the encrypted dirs from its Resident Shield service. Any thoughts on how to prevent this issue?

I don't use EFS but when you get this shutdown warning, click on START\Run and type shutdown -a and that should stop the shutdown, allowing you to save your work and shut down properly or better yet, further investigate.

I'm using AVG Free for antivirus and have excluded the encrypted dirs from its Resident Shield service. Any thoughts on how to prevent this issue?

Uninstall AVG in safe mode using the special tool found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

AVG is simply notorious, causes bsod of all sorts and slows pcs down to the extreme...as in your "heavy disk activity" example.

If it doesn't fix your issue, I still feel I gave excellent advice here regardless.

Install MSE as a replacement. Good luck and hopefully, enjoy.

---

If you have had bsod of any sort, please see the sticky thread about how to post them. We will take a look.

Uninstalled AVG (I suspected it may be the cause as well) and while the problem seems to occur less often now, it is definitely still happening and it is definitely still correlated with high levels of disk activity in the folders encrypted with EFS... Anyone else have any suggestions?

Fairly sure this is not the type of advice you were hoping for, but you may grow to appreciate it with time. It's not perfect advice since it will not directly solve your issue. Consider it good information only, I suppose.

Forget EFS. Disable it or don't use it.

Use TrueCrypt instead. It is very well respected amongst the encryption community as a whole. Basically, there is nothing better:

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Back