Windows 10 Critical Process Died after some time

Romat

It was UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION at the beginning, but then it turned into CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. The BSOD appears after 5-10min of using laptop. I did check updates and then even reset my windows 10 using recovery menu, but it didn't help.

Attachments

• W7F_29-12-2018.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 383
Hi,
it doesn't appear obvious what the actual cause is but usually with this bugcheck it's driver related.

I did some checking on the drivers you currently have installed and need to ask where did you get them from?

Laptops need to use the drivers created by the lappies manufacturer (apart from gpu drivers).

The dates of the drivers on the system seem to differ from the downloads offered here:
ASUS VivoBook 15 X542UQ Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS Global

Now I may have the incorrect model so please let us know.

How did the bsod start?

At random or after you updated something?

Hi, Sir.
I'm pretty sure I haven't update any drivers except NVidia, which I was getting with the help of Geforce Excperience.
It started suddenly, and I guess I hadn't update anything for a while.
I gonna try to update all the drivers with the link though, and I'll let you know how it worked as soon as I figure it out!

Hi,
it doesn't appear obvious what the actual cause is but usually with this bugcheck it's driver related.

I did some checking on the drivers you currently have installed and need to ask where did you get them from?

Laptops need to use the drivers created by the lappies manufacturer (apart from gpu drivers).

The dates of the drivers on the system seem to differ from the downloads offered here:
ASUS VivoBook 15 X542UQ Driver & Tools | Laptops | ASUS Global

Now I may have the incorrect model so please let us know.

How did the bsod start?

At random or after you updated something?

I installed all drivers from official site you've attached, and now I'm getting UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION instead of CRITICAL PROCESS DIED again. Check that, please

Attachments

• W7F_30-12-2018.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 312
Hi,
well nothing seems obvious apart from a hint it could be storage related.

See if these scans help:

Find command prompt, right click on it, choose properties followed by run as administrator, type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Check your drive by running this app from Seagate.
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

Hi,
well nothing seems obvious apart from a hint it could be storage related.

See if these scans help:

Find command prompt, right click on it, choose properties followed by run as administrator, type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Check your drive by running this app from Seagate.
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

I did everything mentioned above, but that didn't help. Are there any other ways? Full format?

A full format doesn't always help and it's best if we track the issue down first.

What Anti virus are you using?

Did you get any results from running the Sea Tools app? If so, what were they?

When the bsod occurs are you doing anything in particular?

Please post any new dump files as the more we see the better.

Remove any third party apps you no longer use. If you have anything plugged in via usb see if unplugging whatever it is helps.

A full format doesn't always help and it's best if we track the issue down first.

What Anti virus are you using?

Did you get any results from running the Sea Tools app? If so, what were they?

When the bsod occurs are you doing anything in particular?

Please post any new dump files as the more we see the better.

Remove any third party apps you no longer use. If you have anything plugged in via usb see if unplugging whatever it is helps.

I don't use any Antivirus app.
All SeaTools scans showed OK.
I guess it happens slightly sooner if I try to play a game, but it still occurs even if I leave it AFK after the loading.
I'm pretty sure it was happening even right after re-installation and I don't have anything plugged in.

Attachments

• W7F_31-12-2018.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 323
Hi,
looking over the dumps again and this is the issue:

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x7fb52080 - <Unable to get error code text>

Something is causing a process to die but it doesn't know whats causing the exception.

If the bsod is occuring more when gaming then I'd be tempted to say check your temperatures.

Ensure all vents are free from dust build up.

HWiNFO64 is the best app for the job as it gives a history of highest, lowest ect.
https://www.hwinfo.com/

If you don't run with any AV at all (not even Defender?) then try running a scan of Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Cybersecurity for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS

Hi,
looking over the dumps again and this is the issue:

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x7fb52080 - <Unable to get error code text>

Something is causing a process to die but it doesn't know whats causing the exception.

If the bsod is occuring more when gaming then I'd be tempted to say check your temperatures.

Ensure all vents are free from dust build up.

HWiNFO64 is the best app for the job as it gives a history of highest, lowest ect.
https://www.hwinfo.com/

If you don't run with any AV at all (not even Defender?) then try running a scan of Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes Cybersecurity for Windows, Mac, Android & iOS

Hey,

Temperatures seem to be fine (<70C).
I do have Defender, and I tried to scan with both it and Malwarebytes(which I installed for one scan only) with all available scan modes, but that didn't find anything.

HWiNFO64 seems to be a cool app, but I don't know how to use it properly.

The only suspicious thing I see is "PCI/PCIe BUS Errors". The screen is attached below.

This time the number is low, but it's just this time. Previous couple times I was getting hundreds of those in a minute.
I guess that may be some kind of mining-virus, and now the number of errors is low because at the moment that's late night and it's somehow related to the virus activity. By the way, in case of turning off the Wi-Fi the number of errors become 0 or happens really seldom.

Attachments

• W7F_02-01-2019.zip
    473.2 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
I've got about 30 errors for several hours, but according to forums that's fine, and the laptop works fine. In case of getting BSOD once again I'm going to re-install both Intel and Nvidia drivers in safe-mode.

This time the number is low, but it's just this time. Previous couple times I was getting hundreds of those in a minute.
I guess that may be some kind of mining-virus, and now the number of errors is low because at the moment that's late night and it's somehow related to the virus activity. By the way, in case of turning off the Wi-Fi the number of errors become 0 or happens really seldom.
How odd.. And well spotted by the way.

(just read your latest post)

Try running this online AV suite:
Online Malware Detection

Which browsers are you using?

Please let me know how you get on with the driver change.

Please let me know how you get on with the driver change.

I've tried:
1)Reinstalling graphic drivers, previously removed with DDU in safe mode
2)Full format Windows reinstall from USB

And both didn't help :(
That's a list of BSOD's I am getting:
1)Unexpected store exception
2)Critical process died
3)Memory managment (it happened just a couple times)
4)Kernel data inpage error (it happened just a couple times)
5)KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (it was also just once and I'm not sure which one it was)

Last edited:
Well Memory management means it's worth testing the RAM using memtest86
MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool

Is HWiNFO64 still showing HW errors?

It says that the program requires x86 PC, but I have x64 as far as I know. Is it going to test my laptop well or gotta use some other app?

HWINFO64 still shows the same error, but it's frequency isn't related to crashes a lot, because the laptop worked fine with thousands of those, and happened to get BSOD with a couple.
Btw I got a BSOD even in Safe mode once, so that's probably about hardware

Have you checked your bios?

Whilst the usb is plugged in check your bios and if you see it in the boot order then make it first in the list.

Might also be worth checking (also in bios) boot from legacy devices is checked.

Failing all that Windows does have a memory test although nowhere near as good as memtest86.

Type “mdsched.exe” into the run box and hit ok.

Have you checked your bios?

Whilst the usb is plugged in check your bios and if you see it in the boot order then make it first in the list.

Might also be worth checking (also in bios) boot from legacy devices is checked.

Failing all that Windows does have a memory test although nowhere near as good as memtest86.

Type “mdsched.exe” into the run box and hit ok.

I've kinda figured out what the problem is, and it's either Wi-fi module or chip that provides access to it. So that's why the laptop was still crashing with all internet devices disabled - wi-fi was still supplied with power.
Anyways now I've just turned Wi-fi off in the right lower corner and everything is fine - 0 PCI/PCIe Bus errors :)
Thanks for the help although, was really nice of you!

Back