So, in my bios under the sata cotroller settings, I have it changed to AHCI and under that is an option for sata 4/5 controller types witch is IDE, apparently this whole time I thought my D: drive was disconnected it was actually plugged it, but windows wasn't recognizing it. I plugged it in to the appropriate port and can't find it in my bios or inside of windows. However I'm pretty sure I can hear is spin up when I turn on my computer. Is it possible the hard drive was the issue, and once I used the recovery stick to "format it" it gave out? And maybe that's why I haven't been having problems? If not any ideas on getting it working?

Try unplugging the HDD, boot the system a couple of times and then attach the D drive again. If you have the SSD on port 1 try popping the HDD onto port 2 and then boot up. See if you can find the drive in the bios first. If you can, boot into Windows, open the control panel, click admin tools, computer management and finally disk management. If the drive is there you may need to format it to NTFS by simply right clicking on the volume.

Tried what you stated above to no avail, won't recognize hdd in windows. And depending on the sata ports I use, I can't find my ssd or my dvd burner in bios either (atleast the way I have them plugged in right now) there's 4 slots in the bios, and 6 on my motherboard. Both are there however. I tried plugging my hdd into many different slots, still not recognizing it under disk management. Should I attempt switching back to IDE and see if it recognizes it?

Should I attempt switching back to IDE and see if it recognizes it?
I guess you could give it a try just to see if the drive still runs under IDE. When you formatted the drive was it for NTFS or FAT32?

NTFS. Would switching it back to IDE possibly cause any problems? And would I be able to switch back easily? Or would I need to follow the guide I used to switch it in the first place. Or is it just the drive being done.

Would switching it back to IDE possibly cause any problems?
Normally no and it's usually just a case of making a change in the bios. I know you had to use a guide but i think that's because the os was originally installed under IDE. I guess at this point you'll just have to see what happens if you switch it back but ideally you should have both drives on the AHCI enabled ports and the DVD-ROM drive could be inserted into the ports which are still IDE.

Welp, tried multiple ports, as well as switching between modes (switched back to ACHI with no problems) and no luck. Only other explanation is drive failure. And after reviewing abunch of different internal HDD lately I can't say I even trust a brand anymore. Both Seagate and WD seem to be getting all kinds of hate lately for there quality in drives. I don't suppose you have any recommendations? I barley even filled half of this drive, but I plan on using my new one for a bit more storage. So anything in the 1-2 tb range should do.

I know a lot of people don't like Toshiba HDD's but I have had mine now for 4 years and no problems. It is a 2tb 7200rpm drive. You might want to try that if your looking for a new drive.

Last edited:
All honesty I don't know much about the Hybrid drives. I will have to look in to it. Never gave it much thought.

This is the one I have Toshiba DT01ACA200. I am trying to remember what I paid for it. I think it was $90. Wasn't over a $100. It might be higher now than it was 4 years ago. It is a 2tb HDD.

Welp, tried multiple ports, as well as switching between modes (switched back to ACHI with no problems) and no luck. Only other explanation is drive failure. And after reviewing abunch of different internal HDD lately I can't say I even trust a brand anymore. Both Seagate and WD seem to be getting all kinds of hate lately for there quality in drives. I don't suppose you have any recommendations? I barley even filled half of this drive, but I plan on using my new one for a bit more storage. So anything in the 1-2 tb range should do.
Can you test the drive in a different machine?

As for Disk brand, I go for Samsung but that's their SSD's. Actual Hard disk drives I always used Seagate. Their hybrid drives are supposed to be pretty decent too but if I'm interested in anything I simply google for a review.
Exactly how old is the hard drive which fails to be detected?

There were no chipset drivers. All it did was install AMD control panel, witch was useless for me. There were no drivers associated with it, or I already had them. Either way it's working fine on ACHI mode now.

Back
Top Bottom