Windows 7 Ctrl Alt Del takes 10-15 seconds to display logon box

ExecTech24

When one of my Exec's laptops boots to Windows 7, he presses CTRL ALT DEL and the screen does not return the login box until 15-20 seconds later. Then he can login fine.

He is part of a special OU so he does not get the Windows Updates that the rest of our users receive.

I took an image of his machine and dumped it to his idenitcal backup machine and the same behavior occurs. If you boot to safe mode w/networking, it DOES NOT behave that way and brings the logon box immediately.

He uses the machine on our domain and when he takes it home on his personal network. He also has 1 mapped drive which resides on his home network, but I'm not sure if he experiences the same thing when he's docked @ home.

If I login and then log out, the behavior doesn't happen. It only happens when I restart or boot from shutdown. This behavior also happens whether or not he's wired into the network or not.

I was going to try System Restore but since there are no restore points since this was a cloned image. I guess the restore points are on the small partition on his system?

Troubleshooting So far..
* I have run C Cleaner and rebooted, no change
* Disabled all startup items (msconfig), no change.
* ipconfig /flushdns, reboot, no change
* updated Intel network drivers, reboot, no change
* tried the Windows 7 repair, but it failed
* changing the desktop background from the picture to a solid color and back, no change.
* checked gpedit.msc setting "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon” and it's not enabled.
* changed MTU size of network
* reinstalled NIC and WLAN card

Dell Latitude 6320 4G RAM
Samsung SSD 250GB
Win 7 Enterprise

Another guy mentioned Windows Logon service isn't being started quick enough?

Any help is appreciated...

I always wonder about mapped drives. If it is looking for something, either on the network, or a mapped drive it might take a while to show up. I believe this usually happens after the login, but I only have one user, so not much experience with an Enterprise type install.

But I would try to unmap the drive to see if it makes a difference. I suppose if the system is running on two different networks, it might be related.

There is a program called Process Monitor from Microsoft's System Internals group. Maybe setting it to check for the boot would show what is happening during the delay. Check the System Internals site, and I do have some experience with that program.

Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

Sorry, but sounds like hacking to me. Will not help.
haha, not sure what this even means. There is no hacking involved inside our corporate environment.

I always wonder about mapped drives. If it is looking for something, either on the network, or a mapped drive it might take a while to show up. I believe this usually happens after the login, but I only have one user, so not much experience with an Enterprise type install.

But I would try to unmap the drive to see if it makes a difference. I suppose if the system is running on two different networks, it might be related.

There is a program called Process Monitor from Microsoft's System Internals group. Maybe setting it to check for the boot would show what is happening during the delay. Check the System Internals site, and I do have some experience with that program.

Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

Thanks, I'll check this out. It's definitely odd.

Well, something slipped by me. I removed a program called
"SpecOps Password Client" and rebooted... SUCCESS.

I have no idea what this program is or how it got there or if it's legit. A quick google search returned that it is some kind of enhancement for the security of the Windows password.

Ugh, what a bunch of wasted time. The install date actually shows that it was installed before this problem started, so I'm wondering... why the problem now?

Anyway, I confirmed with one of our desktop engineers that this is something they've pushed out to allow user to reset their own windows passwords from the web. Something is screwed up with ithe installation on some machines and I've found a few people that experience the same thing, but since they're in IT they don't really care.

Thanks all for the advice. Even if it didn't work, it definitely gave me some more tools to use in the future.

Back
Top Bottom