Windows 10 CU Crashes my Crashplan!

BIGBEARJEDI

Fantastic Member
Premium Supporter
Hi all,
I'm still researching this, but in the last month or so since I updated 3 of my W10 test machines to W10 CU v1703, (b15036.296) on 2 of those machines, my CrashPlan cloud storage backup stopped working entirely!! I was wondering if any other W10 users who are also using CrashPlan experienced this?

I've reinstalled the CrashPlan app onto my laptop, and it appears to be backing up, but the Restore folder doesn't look right. I still need to reinstall it on my main daily driver desktop PC also running W10 CU v1703 and see if I can get it working there (here).

This seems to be the main app that really had an issue with W10 CU, most of my other apps such as 8Gadgets and a few other minor apps were able to be reinstalled and were fixed easily. This one I hadn't noticed for a few weeks as I've been pretty busy with projects, but I suddenly started getting E-mails from CrashPlan showing me that all my backups went RED, which meant that none of my backups were being made.:andwhat: And further E-mails informed me I only had 10 days to fix the problem, otherwise all my existing backups would be deleted from my Account (arghhh!). This isn't the end of the world or anything, just curious. I have about 5 other types of backups in different places including manual and Backup Image files (Macrium), Cloud storage with both OneDrive, GooglePhotos, and Dropbox, along with a home Cloud NAS.

If I do get it solved, I will post back the solution in case anyone else is also using CrashPlan. It's been a really good program and I like it-have been using it for almost a year now.

Best, :)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi Norway,
I think I have it reinstalled on my laptop, and the weekly report shows it's being backed up; I still have to verify it. :fdance: I will then try to reinstall it on my Desktop PC (the Crashplan app) and see where I'm at. I still can't tell whether they deleted my old stuff from the pre-CU (v1607) backups or not.

Thanks for checking in.
BBJ

You may have the same issue I've seen in the past month: Code42 publishes an update to Crashplan, which your client software tries to (automatically) install. It first stops the Crashplan service, tries to complete the update and for some reason fails. It never restarts the service, and no longer backs up, even though the interface seems normal. I've seen this twice recently, and everything works well after I manually download and install the update. I don't know why the auto-update is failing, and I haven't found anything published on it, but I know someone else who has seen the same problem.

Back