Data transfer at 0.3 MB/s between internal HDD and SSD

Zoleee2000

Suddenly the transfer rate dropped to 200-300 kb/s. I have no idea why .
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
I uploaded all the relevant screenshots, here is a summary:

My system is :
Intel Core i7 4771 @ 3.50GHz
HDD WD Purple 2TB, 5400rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I have this PC with Win10 installed on the HDD WD for a few years now, and it worked well.
About a year ago I bought a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB , I installed Win 10 on this drive and since then I am using this SSD as the C drive and the HDD as storage for audio and video files.
The SSD works very well with the system ,and for a while transfer of any kind o files between the 2 drives was very fast.
Recently I tried to transfer some files from the HDD to the SSD and I was shocked to see that the transfer speed was an average 300 KB/s.
The transfer speed is similarly slow in both directions.
It does not matter how large or small the file is or how many files are copied , the speed is the same.
Sometimes (rarely)the speed just jumps up to 5-10 MB/s for a few seconds, and then it falls back .
I am using TerraCopy for file transfer.
I did a full antivirus scan , a boot scan etc.No viruses.
I tried to disable the antivirus during transfers. No change.
I defragmented the drive. No change.
I did a disk check.No bad sectors or errors have been found.
SSD is on slot 0, HDD is on slot1. To be sure I have tried with 2 other SATA cables to connect the HDD to 2 other SATA3 slots. No results.
I looked into Resource Monitor I did not notice anything suspicious. 31-May-20 08-54-03 PM.jpg
31-May-20 08-54-03 PM.jpg
31-May-20 08-54-23 PM.jpg
31-May-20 09-49-27 PM.png
Performance Benchmark_20200531.png
hdd.jpg
pc.jpg

Last edited:
I would check the disk health and also defragment the spinning disk. If the disk is highly fragmented it can greatly slow down reads and writes due to a lot of seek time.

Back