Windows 10 default printer in Win 10

Escapeartist

Hi! I was trying to help my mom with Windows 10 recently installed/updated on her computer. In the folder for printers, in the drivers and devices (or similarly named) folder in the settings, we can see her printer there among other printers in the house. When I right click on the printer she wants as her default, (as I am familiar with doing with previous Windows versions), there is no 'set as default printer' choice in the right-click menu. There is another printer with the familiar green checkmark. When a printer is selected, there is a portion at the bottom of the window that seems to list basic stats for that printer. For the default printer, the stats area states 'default printer'. I don't see any way to get that green checkmark over to the printer she wants to be her default printer. For the printer she wants as her default printer, it said 'there are available apps for this printer.' So I got her started on downloading an app for the printer. (The driver for that printer had already been installed for her previous Windows version which was either XP or Vista.) Could it help to download the app for the printer?
Where is the 'set as default' for printers hiding? How is that done with Windows 10? Help!
-Escapeartist

I would suggest that, when the computer was upgraded, it did not set up the printer correctly. Delete the existing icon, and go through the "Add" procedure again, as you have done in Windows 7. During this process, you are asked if you wish to set it as the default.

If you have only have one printer davehc would work but if you're a student with a laptop or have more than one printer in the house as I do, this is what you need to do. Pretty simple actually. Right click start and grab control panel. Find Devices and Printers. Locate the printer you want as default, right click on it and choose, make default. Done.

FWIW. I have three printers. But:
If you read the OP, the member has tried what you are suggesting, but cannot select the default for the required printer, as it does not seem to be loaded correctly..

Yes, try removing and re-adding the printer. On my machine, I saw the printer but could not set it as the default because the driver was not installed. Had to remove it and re-install it.

Back
Top Bottom