Windows 10 Default Program ?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Now that I have Windows 10 installed out of the Insider Program, I've found one problem that I can't find a solution for.

This isn't a major deal, but I did have this working in the previous install.

I want to set WinAmp as my default music player as I did in my last install.
The problem is that even though I have installed it twice it doesn't show up in the Set Default Applications menu.

When I ask Cortana to play my music she always opens Windows Media Player.

WinAmp opens as a narrow bar across the top of the screen, much tidier the Media Player.

I have set WinAmp as the default to open MP3 files and if I click on one it does do that.

Unlike the options to set defaults in the customize files menu, there doesn't seem to be any way to add programs to the Set Default Applications menu?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Mike

Try typing Default programs into Search. It will get you to Control Panel and there you can change things. Maybe Cortana is opening a different file type? Or try Cortana settings (this I'm just guessing because Cortana isn't available here).

Hi

The Default Programs window is where I'm at, and even though WinAmp shows in my installed software and has a link in my start menu, it doesn't show in the window where you would set it as default program for music.

I had this working in previous builds where it did show in the window.

I know from previous experience that Cortana uses whatever is set as the default program.
Cortana has very few things that you can directly set preferences for.

The files are all MP3 files, I have a folder with 250 pieces of music in it.
She chooses from that at random so you never know what you are going to get.

I just can't find a way to set it unless you can select it in that window.

It's too bad they don't have an option to add programs to the list the way they do in setting file defaults.

Mike

Hi

The Default Programs window is where I'm at, and even though WinAmp shows in my installed software and has a link in my start menu, it doesn't show in the window where you would set it as default program for music.

I had this working in previous builds where it did show in the window.

I know from previous experience that Cortana uses whatever is set as the default program.
Cortana has very few things that you can directly set preferences for.

The files are all MP3 files, I have a folder with 250 pieces of music in it.
She chooses from that at random so you never know what you are going to get.

I just can't find a way to set it unless you can select it in that window.

It's too bad they don't have an option to add programs to the list the way they do in setting file defaults.

Mike
Go to an mp3 file with the Explorer, right click and select 'Open with'. There always was an option to select the app of your choice and an option to make it your default app.

Is this stil possible or is this also impossible?

Hi

WinAmp works fine and it was the default player in all the previous versions of Windows 10.

I've already set it as the default to open MP3 files and it does that.
If I click on an MP3 file, WinAmp opens and plays it.

But I can't make it the default player for Windows it only offers Windows Media Player?

It worked fine even in the same, final version of Windows 10, until I did my new upgrade install of the software.

Well it's not a big deal, I can live with Windows Media player for Cortana, I can always start WinAmp manually.

I just hate it when I can't get everything to work right! LOL

Mike

Hello!!

So i was having this exact issue just now in the 1803 build of Win10

But fixed it thanks to you~!

Open an mp3 via right click - open with - Winamp

At which point Winamp will be added to the default app list in settings!!!! That easy!!!

Thanks you all for helping !!!!

Back