Windows 10 Delete in disk cleanup?

Terje Meringdal

I have a Lenovo G510 PC and have for some time been upgraded to Windows 10, but have problems including With Windows Update, when an error message appears and it does not update. I have run disk cleanup and see that there are many files etc that I can delete. The 3 pictures show it. It is among other things : Early 21.2 G windows installations that can be deleted. But should I? Still these others, should I delete some of them?
diskopprydding.png
diskopprydding 2.png
diskopprydding 3.png
diskopprydding.png

You can safely remove everything in there. The old Windows build will only be available for roll back for 30 days then it just becomes wasted space.

The bigger problem you have is not being able to get your W10 to update. You should make sure that both your WU (Windows Update) applet and WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization) are both enabled. You can do this through either Control Panel, All Settings, or use the Cortana Search box to search for WINDOWS UPDATE. If the problem persists you most likely have Windows registry corruption, virus/malware infection, or a failed Hard Drive. Since your Lenovo laptop came with Win8, it could be as old as 6 years old this year, and modern hard drives are only designed to last for 2 years! :eek: If you've never replaced the Hard Drive in that laptop and you are the original owner, it's very likely to have failed and should be tested. If testing returns errors, it must be replaced.

The best place to start is to use whatever AV program you now have and scan/remove all viruses found. Next, visit piriform.com and download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware program. Run it and scan/remove all found spyware viruses found. If WU begins working again, you had one of the many viruses that purposely attack WU to disable it, and your laptop is now fixed! :up: Virus authors do this since you cannot download or apply the latest security updates from Microsoft into your laptop on a weekly basis (the Tuesday weekly push-updates), it leaves it vulnerable for attack since it's missing critical security updates for the OS (W10).:headache: This is the exact exploit mechanism being used by the authors of the latest Ransomware viruses, WannaCry and WannaCrypt. If your laptop hasn't updated since March (2 months), you are now a prime target of this new Ransomware as your W10 has gaping security holes in it, and bots running on the Web can identify your laptop as a target for this Ransomware. All you need to do is open the wrong E-mail, and boom! All your stuff is locked up with a big message on your screen demanding $300 in Bitcoin payment.:pirate:

If the virus scan/removal doesn't work, and the problem persists you may have failing hardware which as I said can also cause symptoms which mimic virus attack. The best thing to do here is to use my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
and test your laptop hard drive and RAM memory sticks. If errors are found, those parts have failed and must be replaced. Re-test your Drive or RAM sticks per instructions in the Guide and then you can proceed with more aggressive software repairs also listed in the Guide such as Windows reset or reinstallation from Factory Media or Partition. This is really really important to do, since if you reset or reinstall your Windows without verifying proper operation of your hardware, the problem of a failed hard drive or RAM stick(s) will not be solved by any known software. No software on the Planet can fix broken Hardware!! :noway:

Following the above instructions should produce a fix of your WU problem about 97% of the time. If you have never tested your own hardware before, it's a tedious process and can take 2-3 days or longer to do it correctly. Don't forget to backup all your Personal Data to External media prior to attempting to test, and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, consider paying a licensed Computer Tech to do it for you. They can also perform the Windows reset or reinstallation for you as well. Make sure to get an estimate or quote in writing if you go that way. If you don't know how to backup your data, you can ask to have that added to the work estimate also.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back
Top Bottom