Windows 7 Dell asking permission?

Fenway16

Honorable Member
Today the shield that I think is the sign of a windows update appeared on my taskbar. When I right clicked on it, it said Dell was asking permission. When I click on it, the window saying do you want this app to make changes to your computer. I don't know what the changes are so I said no. It keeps appearing on the taskbar. What is this?

Can you post a screen shot? Sounds like it wants to add a rule to the firewall is my guess, but it'd be easier to help if we can see the message.

That may be but the message is just the standard - "do you want to allow this app to make changes to your system." Will try to do s.s. later - on my way out. Thanks for quick response.

Good enough, you'd need to figure out which exe it is specifically. If the publisher is valid I'd say allow the change as it may be trying to update itself and that prompt is part of UAC. You can grab the exe and scan it at virustotal.com to make sure it's safe.

In addition to the above, now I am getting a msg that a device driver is not properly installed. I went online to the Dell device driver download link - entered my express tag - a window comes up "analyzing system". But, No device driver is made available. I don't know if this is what that shield from Dell was telling me this morning-that I need a driver. I don't know where to find a driver - also that msg from earlier on the taskbar is no longer there. Where can I get a device driver for this ancient system? Thank you.

You'll want to look in device manager for indications of problematic drivers/devices. You'll have to get it from the manufacturer site if possible. Sometimes you'll need to go to one of the unofficial driver sites if it's really old.

Last edited:
Checked device mgr this a.,m. No sign of any drivers with problems. Also ran Dell Support Assist program. Cleaned up a few areas but the download driver box says - none available. Since device mgr doesn't show any issues, do you think all is ok now? and if not, do I just google device drivers for Inspiron? Are these usually trustworthy sites? Thanks for your help.

Back