Windows 7 Dell Printer 926 not working

Lisa

Hi, Windows 7 is working quite well for me, but I can't for the life of me figure out the problem with my printer, a Dell Photo 926. It has always worked under Vista. When I try to print, I get a box that says that Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup. I've uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it with the original CD that contains the software and drivers. I am able to use the scan fucntion (it is one of those three-in-one printers) and when I check under Devices and Printers, the printer is selected as the default and there are no problems detected with it. Any suggestions would be mightily appreciated. Thanks much. Best, Lisa P.S. Running 32 bit Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 531. I can provide more specs if needed.

Last edited:
Are you using the official RC from Microsoft?

Did you uninstall the driver using Device manager or did it have it's own uninstaller?

Check Control Panel >Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flags under any devices.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I am using the official RC from Microsoft. I uninstalled the printer using its own uninstaller, meaning that I did not uninstall with the Device Manager. In the Device Manager box, I don't see my printer, but there is a the yellow triangle next to an "unknown device." I can't tell if this is the printer or not. I tried to automatically update the drivers for this device, but Windows can't find any drivers for it. Do you think I should uninstall the unknown device with the Device Manager? As always, your suggestions are appreciated! :) Best, Lisa

Hi, In the window "device manager", it lists Lisa-PC and then nested under that, a long list of things (starts with Computer, disk drives, display adapters and so on) and then lists Other Devices. The unknown device is under Other Devices. I can't see anything that has to do with the printer. When I look in in "Devices and Printers," under "Devices" the Lisa-PC icon has a flag, presumably due to the Unknown Device. I've tried using the troubleshooting function, but just receive a message that the driver is missing for the unknown device and that Windows can't find a driver. (Seems odd, as when I look at the list of update that have been installed, I see that the printer drivers have been installed.) Under "Printers and Faxes", I see the printer and that it's been selected as the default printer. Mysterious. Thanks for your help. Lisa

Hi, In the window "device manager", it lists Lisa-PC and then nested under that, a long list of things (starts with Computer, disk drives, display adapters and so on) and then lists Other Devices. The unknown device is under Other Devices. I can't see anything that has to do with the printer. When I look in in "Devices and Printers," under "Devices" the Lisa-PC icon has a flag, presumably due to the Unknown Device. I've tried using the troubleshooting function, but just receive a message that the driver is missing for the unknown device and that Windows can't find a driver. (Seems odd, as when I look at the list of update that have been installed, I see that the printer drivers have been installed.) Under "Printers and Faxes", I see the printer and that it's been selected as the default printer. Mysterious. Thanks for your help. Lisa

In your first post you had indicated
When I try to print, I get a box that says that Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.

What application were you printing from ? Did you try a Test Print ?
Under what category and above what category is the ? Unknown device

Last edited:
CMN, I'm trying to print from Microsoft Word (2007, Service Pack installed). The print preview shows the printer as the default and that its ready, but clicking print brings up the box about the problem with the configuration. I am also unable to print a test page. Reghakr, I downloaded the second option (Dell 32 bit Diagnostics), but I confess that I'm not totally sure what to do with it. I have options to: Install to USB Flash Drive, Update Existing Diagnostic Partition, Create a Bootable CD, or Create a Bootable Image. What's the next step? Best, Lisa

Sorry Lisa, I should have downloaded it myself to see what was in the contents.

i would suggest that you do not run it.

I know some people are having problems after updating Office, but I can't see it affecting printing.

CMN, I'm trying to print from Microsoft Word (2007, Service Pack installed). The print preview shows the printer as the default and that its ready, but clicking print brings up the box about the problem with the configuration. I am also unable to print a test page. Reghakr, I downloaded the second option (Dell 32 bit Diagnostics), but I confess that I'm not totally sure what to do with it. I have options to: Install to USB Flash Drive, Update Existing Diagnostic Partition, Create a Bootable CD, or Create a Bootable Image. What's the next step? Best, Lisa
If Test Print has failed you need Photo Printer Driver reinstall after deleting the printer and confirming with Yes.

The MS word Print failure may or may not need a second troubleshoot.
You may get the latest Vista 32 Driver for that Printer ( actually Muti function Device) from Dell : Release Date:1/26/2007

Version: A01
The link is below.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

You may get the latest FAX driver also from Dell suppor site and I saw a Patch Upgrade there: You may get that too while there for future use if needed.

The Site is Link Removed - Invalid URL=

Did you locate what the ?Unknown device is? Its position in the DM list with refrence to the cluster above and below might help in deciding what that could be.

Reghakr, No worries! :) I still wonder if I should uninstall my unknown device via the device manager. What do you think? Lisa

CMN, I'll try the Dell driver. Once I've downloaded it, do I need to install it somewhere? I'm still not sure what the unknown device is. It is very mysterious! ;)

Last edited:
Go ahead and complete what cmn has suggested and let us know what happens.

As cmn stated, you'll need to delete the printer, If the printer is located in Control panel > Programs and Features, you can uninstall it here. But I would also check Device manger and make sure it is not listed there and check under Devices and Printers and make sure its gone out of here also.

I would then do a reboot as that usually cleans things out of the registry.

I'll give it a whirl. I've downloaded the 926 driver and unzipped the file. Is there anything else that I need to do with it? I will uninstall the printer out of various locations, reboot, and reinstall. I'll report back. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it! Best, Lisa

I'll give it a whirl. I've downloaded the 926 driver and unzipped the file. Is there anything else that I need to do with it? I will uninstall the printer out of various locations, reboot, and reinstall. I'll report back. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it! Best, Lisa
Hi Lisa,

After Printer Reinstall> Print Test Page check DM if there is still the Unknown Device.

If Unknown Device is still present ,try installing and launching Unknown device Identifier( Free) from : Unknown Device Identifier - Freeware Download
Good luck

Thanks cmn,

Never heard of that one. downloaded it immediately:)
You are welcome reghakr:) This can be handy. Sometimes Everesthome displaying all devices and by process of elimination can also help to make a guess on the ?Unknown device.

Yes, this will be great to use on the forum to diagnose those problems, and they do come about quite frequently.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wooooo! I'm chalking it up to downloading the driver, uninstalling the thing COMPLETELY from all possible locations, rebooting, then reinstalling. (And maybe a bit of prayer to the deity in charge of printers....) The unknown device has been present throughout the whole process, but doesn't seem to be harming anything. Thanks to all y'all for all of your great suggestions and sage advice! You're the best! Now I'm *really* in love with Windows 7! :) Lisa

Back