Windows 7 Desktop Folder Appearance

trakkal

With XP I had a number of folders on my desktop, simply to contain icons for similar functions and reduce the desktop clutter. These folders were just a single window, which could be set to any size, with a title and an address bar at the top and a status bar at the bottom, and the only things showing in the window were the icons.

In Win 7, any folders I open on the desktop have a similar appearance to Windows Explorer, with at least 2 windows including that with the file/folder tree on the left. It is this Window which I would like to eliminate from my desktop folders, but as yet I have been unable to find how. I can drag this LH window to its minimum size, but that seems to affect all the other folders in Explorer.

Is it possible, in Windows 7, to create desktop folders as I have described without affecting the other folders in Explorer – or is there another means of achieving the same result?

You can change folders' icons in Windows7:

(righ-click a desktop folder > properties > customize tab > change icon)

New Folder.PNG

This way you can add different looks to your desktop folders.

Thanks, cybercore. However, that doesn't really solve my problem. I eventually worked out how to create desktop folders the way I wanted (see attached Desktop Folder.jpg), but when I set one of them up it changes all the other folders, including those in Windows Explorer which I want to look like attached Explorer Folder.jpg

Is there any way to change folders individually, or as a group, without affecting all the others? :confused:

Attachments

• Explorer Folder.jpg
    Explorer Folder.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 591
  • Desktop Folder.jpg
    Desktop Folder.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 590
Thanks, cybercore. However, that doesn't really solve my problem. I eventually worked out how to create desktop folders the way I wanted (see attached Desktop Folder.jpg), but when I set one of them up it changes all the other folders, including those in Windows Explorer which I want to look like attached Explorer Folder.jpg

Is there any way to change folders individually, or as a group, without affecting all the others? :confused:
I think maybe, if I understand correctly you might try this. Open the folder, near the top on the left select the drop down arrow next to the word Organize, then select layout and deselect navigation pane. Does that give you the appearance you're looking for?

I think maybe, if I understand correctly you might try this. Open the folder, near the top on the left select the drop down arrow next to the word Organize, then select layout and deselect navigation pane. Does that give you the appearance you're looking for?

Yes. That's how I got the appearance in my Desktop Folder.jpg attachment. The problem is that when I change one folder it changes all the others.

Yes. That's how I got the appearance in my Desktop Folder.jpg attachment. The problem is that when I change one folder it changes all the others.

Could you please clarify: when you change one folder HOW(?) it changes all others HOW(?)

Yes, I noticed after I made that post, that removal of the navigation pane, to give you the appearance you are looking for, seems to have a global effect on all folders. I was not able to find a work around or fix, it seems Microsoft is very proud of the Navigation Pane and it's features so I'm not sure that turning it off for a single folder, without suffering the global results that you are seeing is possible. But if there is a trick, I'm sure somebody here will have a suggestion or two for you, so stay tuned.

Could you please clarify: when you change one folder HOW(?) it changes all others HOW(?)

I use the drop-down menu from "Organize" (top left of folder) to remove the unwanted panes. When I open any other folder it has the same panes missing. Same when I replace them.

Yes, I noticed after I made that post, that removal of the navigation pane, to give you the appearance you are looking for, seems to have a global effect on all folders. I was not able to find a work around or fix, it seems Microsoft is very proud of the Navigation Pane and it's features so I'm not sure that turning it off for a single folder, without suffering the global results that you are seeing is possible. But if there is a trick, I'm sure somebody here will have a suggestion or two for you, so stay tuned.

Thanks, Trouble. I hope someone does have a workaround.

I have been fiddling with computers for around 30 years, and I'm old enough to resist change for the sake of change - particularly if there is no obvious improvement. This problem is one of two things which annoy me about Windows 7, which in most respects is a great improvement on previous OS's.

Back