Windows 7 Desktop Icons Changed?!

Ozzie

Hello,

Restarted and Windows 7 desktop icons are now partially obscured by what looks to be some kind of 'preview' page, or something (small page-like display at lower left corner of icon with a dog-ear on the top right).

What happened and how do I get rid of these...it's annoying the %$#@* out of me! :mad:

Thanks!

Hello ans welcome to the Windows7forums.

Could you take a screen shot and upload it here?

Do you recall installing or making any other major changes ti the system before this occurred?

Having a bit of a problem pasting the 'snip' here.

But....the 'pages' seem to have replaced the arrows after I tried getting rid of the arrows.

Went back using System Restore.

I had used a program to remove the Desktop Icon 'arrows' & it removed the arrows but gave me something worse!

All ok now..

Good call.

The remove shortcut trick can cause problems, even when done through hacking the registry.

It does sound to me that your original registry mod was accidentally pointing to an icon location,,, where there was no icon.

I used to drop the Blank.ico in C:\Windows where it wouldn't get disturbed (by me!). I'd then merge this as a .reg file into the registry

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Blank.ico"
And this would undo the above.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]
"29"=-
I'm also attaching the Blank.ico I've always used in case you would like to try again to remove the shortcut arrow. It is in fact not blank so doesn't leave you with the dreaded "Black square overlay"

Attachments

• Blank.ico
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,928
Back