Windows 7 Device Manager Won't Open/ Run

DillyCakes

I was trying to access the Device Manager recently to uninstall all the unused drivers I've accumulated that have been causing me problems, I came to the conclusion that the Device Manager just won't open/run for me. There are no error messages, It just won't open. From everything I've read online I'm thinking it might be faults in the registry, or something to do with the drivers that are causing the problems. Can anyone help me find a solution? Maybe by suggesting a program that can remove drivers instead of using the Device Manager or maybe something that can fix my registry if that's causing the problem? But still, I'd like to be able to fix this problem.. Please bare with me, I'm new at this and will try anything.

-Tried double clicking Device Manager after searching it from the Start search bar = No Results
-Tried accessing devmgmt.msc through the Command Prompt = No Results
-Tried double clicking Device Manager from Control Panel > System and Security = No Results
-Tried double clicking Computer Management from Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools = No Results
-Tried running all the above listed as Administrator = No Results
-Tried restarting system in Safe-Mode and then proceeded with all the methods listed above = No Results

Here are two resolutions I have come across in the past, which may help you:

1. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to and double-click the Plug and Play service and make sure it is set to Automatic and that it is running, click OK, etc. and restart the computer.

2. If starting the service didn’t resolve the issue, check that a registry key is correct/present, as follows:

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum. Right-click Enum > Permissions. In Groups or user names, there must be at least two entries.

If there are not, click on Add and type Everyone in the object name field and click Check Names > OK to confirm. Now select Everyone and check the box next to Read under the Allow column > OK

Click on Add again, type SYSTEM in the object name field, click Check Names > OK. Now select SYSTEM and check the boxes next to Full Control (not Read this time) under the Allow column. Close regedit to save the additions and restart the computer.

Here are two resolutions I have come across in the past, which may help you:

1. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to and double-click the Plug and Play service and make sure it is set to Automatic and that it is running, click OK, etc. and restart the computer.

2. If starting the service didn’t resolve the issue, check that a registry key is correct/present, as follows:

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type regedit, press Enter and in the left pane navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum. Right-click Enum > Permissions. In Groups or user names, there must be at least two entries.

If there are not, click on Add and type Everyone in the object name field and click Check Names > OK to confirm. Now select Everyone and check the box next to Read under the Allow column > OK

Click on Add again, type SYSTEM in the object name field, click Check Names > OK. Now select SYSTEM and check the boxes next to Full Control (not Read this time) under the Allow column. Close regedit to save the additions and restart the computer.

Thank you so much for your reply, but sadly it didn't fix my problem :(. Here's what happened.

I did everything in step one, but when I double clicked Services, nothing happened at all (just like my Device Manager dilemma)

So, then I proceeded to your second step. I got all the way to the Permissions part, but when I changed the settings to read only and pressed OK, it popped up with a message saying "Access Denied". Then after typing System in the objects name field and checking for names I pressed the next OK after changing it to Full Control, and it still said "Access Denied"

Is there any reason why Services won't load either?
Do you know any reason why it could be denying me access to confirming those settings?

Normally, this type of error is caused by malware.

Have you run your anti programs? If not, I suggest you do.

If, after running your ‘anti’ programs, the issue still persists, run these as I think registry restrictions have been placed on specific activities:

1. If System Restore is enabled and you can go back far enough, restore the computer to an earlier date using Safe Mode. To do so, restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key, select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option. If you are asked to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the correct one and press Enter. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe and then press Enter. Follow the prompts to restore the computer to an earlier date.

2. Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) is a unique little program that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. Download JRT.exe (make sure nothing else is downloaded) from the author’s site here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

It runs in a command window and can take up to ten minutes to complete. Don’t interrupt it if it appears to be doing nothing, particularly when it’s checking the registry. You may have to right-click the shortcut and choose ‘Run as administrator’. A log file is created on the Desktop and both the program (JRT.exe) and the log file can be deleted when you’ve eventually finished with it.

3. JRT usually removes registry restrictions, but if it doesn’t, post back and I’ll search out the keys most likely affected.

Last edited:
When you do get into Device Manager, I would strongly suggest that you not do this -

I was trying to access the Device Manager recently to uninstall all the unused drivers I've accumulated that have been causing me problems,

What accumulated device drivers have been causing you so many problems and... how do you know?

Back
Top Bottom