Windows 7 Disable all user accounts except administrator's

alexxx

Hello!
I am completely new in windows 7 and I come straight from XP, so I have no Vista and thus no administrator issues experience.
I installed win7 ultimate 32bit.

How can I disable all user accounts and leave only one (mine) as administrator?
In my opinion this administrator thing is structured completely wrong and really I don't want it or need it...
I am administrator but I don't have access to some places, and to other places I have access but only if I run as administrator.

Really, I can't see what security I get out of it... A logged in administrator who can't have access to all places, what kind of administrator is this?
So can I get rid of all these annoying questions and "don't have access" messages?
One user in all files and applications and full rights to see, read, edit ALL. Like good old XP! Can I have that?

Windows 7 look really cool, faster and more usable than XP, but if I won't solve this, I will get back to XP, it's really annoying!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Disable or enable a user account: Active Directory

• Open Command Prompt.
  • Type:

dsmod userUserAccountName-disabled {yes|no}

yes => enables
no => disables

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To enable the Hidden Built-In Administrator Account, in the elevated command prompt, type

net user administrator /active:yes

to disable it type

net user administrator /active:no

Last edited:
You don't say which particular places it is, that you do not have access?

In your own interests, and as a result of voluminous feedback from beta testers and the public, Microosft have tightened up the accessibility to system files and folders. It is quite straightforward to alter the security on most of these, but would serve no useful purpose.

Windows 7 and, previously, Vista, have advanced quite a way from XP, and a lot of work has been done on nackwrad compatibility. This has , unfortunately, also resulted in the introduction of "junction" folders. Basically these are old name folders inherited from XP and previous. Many small software makers, cannot spare the effort to change paths for their installations, so these folders exists purely for that purpose. Files directed to those folders, are now redirected to the more appropriate Windows 7 paths. A classic example is the old "Documents and Settings" folder. I fairness to Microsoft, if you accept the "Tools - Folders Options - View", defaults, in Windows Explorer, you should not even be able to see these "junctions".

However, you can become the "Global" Administrator, which is what you have been more accustomed to in XP. This lowers your security warnings but, if you feel your own third party security is adequate, it is not a great problem.

There are a couple of ways to achieve this:
Open a command prompt(Run as Administrator.
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active
Log out and see if you have a new alternative (Administrator) login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2.
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled”
Now log out and login as Administrator.
As I previously said,the action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.

You can also take control of any file or folder you wish, by applying the attached registry edit. This will give you a right click option to "Take ownership. Use it with caution.

I use the above suggestions as my default. I have a disabled guest account and nothing else. I have also wound the UAC down to the bottom, disabled Windows defender and the security centre. This is only something to do if you are totally knowledgeable of security risks.

Well that's more like it!

I used the net user administrator /active:yes method and I now have access to administrator acount,
even though I have to make more settings in my administrator profile. :rolleyes:
But that's OK, now it makes sence, and actually I am thinking of keeping my non administrator profile also.

Thank you guys, I think I can now enjoy and explore my new OS!!!

Cheers!

Disable or enable a user account

Disable or enable a user account
Updated: January 21, 2005
Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2

To disable or enable a user account

Using the Windows interface
  • Open Active Directory Users and Computers.
  • In the console tree, click Users.

Where?
    • Active Directory Users and Computers/domain node/Users
    Or, click the folder that contains the user account.
  • In the details pane, right-click the user.
  • Depending on the status of the account, do one of the following:
    • To disable, click Disable Account.
    • To enable, click Enable Account.
Notes

• To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Account Operators group, Domain Admins group, or the Enterprise Admins group in Active Directory, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure. For more information, see Default local groups, Default groups, and Using Run as.
  • To open Active Directory Users and Computers, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Active Directory Users and Computers.
  • To prevent a particular user from logging on for security reasons, you can disable user accounts rather than deleting user accounts.
  • By creating disabled user accounts with common group memberships, you can use disabled user accounts as account templates to simplify user account creation. For more information, see Related Topics.

Using a command line

• Open Command Prompt.
  • Type:dsmod userUserDN-disabled {yes|no}.

I believe ackowledgement should be made there to Chris stinson of iishacks.com. That is an exact copy of his article.

Again,you should give credit when copying original work

I must admit that I agree with RAK on this. It's only fair to the original author that reference be made to his/her work if some part is reproduced.
It can also be helpful if your arguing a point and are using some article to back it up.
Making reference to original pieces of work not only makes your post more credible it's also a sign of respect too..

I had Administrator showing on my Welcome screen (as well as my normal User Logon).
Don't recall how I got that showing (I am 68, and it is lucky I can even remember that).

I now would like to get rid of it.
I found a plethora of suggestions including a few variations on this -
net user administrator / active:no

Neither of those worked.

I eventually navigated around to Computer Management ...... Users, and went to the Properties for the Administrator Account, where I ticked 'Account is Disabled'
That did the trick.

HOWEVER, my question is - Does that have exactly the same effect as -
Or HAVE I DONE A MORE SERIOUS DISABLE, that will prevent me getting Admin access, when the OS stuffs one day ?

Thanks,
Rob

Back