Windows Vista Disk Boot Failure

OK.

It appears that a lot of people are coming across this ssue.

Windows will not boot unless a bootable DVD is in the DVD drive.

if there is no disk in the DVD drive, you get a DISK BOOT ERROR ...

Someone must have a fix for this...

Come on Microsoft...

hi i bought a laptop about 6 months ago, i went on holiday and left my laptop with my sister,

when i came back i went on there to check my emails and it wont let me get on the computer it comes up

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

i do this and the message comes up again, can anyone help me
and give me a price it would cost if i have to pay????

Oh its a Compaq Presario V6000

Hmm...this does sound rather terminal concerning the HDD... You could try and see if it will boot into 'safe mode' (press F8 when booting) and then from there try and run a 'checkdisk' which is found by right-clicking the C drive, choosing properties and then Tools. Then click error check (make sure you tick the box that repairs errors) and schedule it to run on the next reboot.
You could also try running a virus scan too... To replace the HDD you'll have to contact the manufacturer..

This is almost funny, I had the same issue when I reinstalled Vista a few weeks back. For some reason if you have your boot order set to boot from DVD first than HD that you get a boot disk error. Just change boot order to boot from HD first and it will go away. Or at least mine did. :D

HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Vista 32bit home premium desktop.
Everytime I restart my computer, I get the error:
Hard disk failure, enter system disk and press enter"
I performed system restores, system recoveries to the original factory condition, I tried everything I could but nothing. Even if I manage to log on, after a few days, or hours everything freezes again, and when I restart my PC I get the same black screen with the same message.

Please what else can i do???
Is there any command I can enter on the Command Prompt window????
Thank you

Try running checkdisk. If you right click on your HDD and choose properties,look along the top for tools. A box will appear with error checking written at the top, hit that. Make sure you tick the box that repairs errors and then click ok, it will then ask you if you want to schedule a checkdisk for the next reboot (it can't run while your using the drive) click yes and then reboot.

This is almost funny, I had the same issue when I reinstalled Vista a few weeks back. For some reason if you have your boot order set to boot from DVD first than HD that you get a boot disk error. Just change boot order to boot from HD first and it will go away. Or at least mine did. :D

That's definitely the solution. This same problem has been perplexing me for several weeks - only intermittently. It comes down to the boot order in the BIOS. I use a USB stick to transfer my work from the office to home every night, and I noticed the problem only occurred at weekends - when I left the stick in the USB port overnight and subsequently booted with it in the next day! The BIOS was configured to boot anything it could find (in seemingly random orders) - just set it to CDROM/DVD first, then hard disk, and if your BIOS supports it, disable the USB booting!

Hope that helps a few people...

I feel stupid about finding out what my problem was. I had inserted a jumper onto the HD onto the master set of pins because right now I only have one HD. Come to find out, when I removed the pin, the PC booted up faster than the speed of my grandma slippin in pig sh*&t. Sorry, Im very happy about finding this stupid error. I was wondering why everynow and then, it would boot up when I messed with the HD. I guess the jumper was loose enough to give an in-consistent (is that a word) connection. Apparently this HD is supposed to NOT be jumped when it is the only one being used.:cool:

I have mostly gone to forums from Google searches in the past, and found help for my computer problems over the years. I usually don't sign up and post my solution if I find one, but this time I did. Hope this helps someone with this similar problem, since it seems so elusive.

I was getting the same problem with my newly build computer, and I didn't have any IDE drives, only SATA hard drive, and 2 SATA DVD drives. I tried switching the hard drive to be first in the boot order, and also tried putting it as Device 1. Both didn't fix the boot error. I then noticed I had some external hard drives that were plugged into the front USB connectors (they were plugged in when I installed Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 on the hard drive). I unplugged them and sure enough it fixed the problem, good Ol' Windows must have cached them as the boot device, or something else. Anyways, when I booted successfully, I shut the machine off, and plugged the USB drives back in, and rebooted. No problem now, and I don't need the Vista DVD in the drive to boot anymore.

Hope this solves everyones problem with this dillemma. Good luck!!!

Back