Windows 10 Disk Defragmenter Detects Hard drives as solid state instead of regular

Doug Bordell

I converted from Windows 7 Home to windows10. When I go to Disk Defragmenter it tells me I can't optimize because my drives are solid state. My Drives are Hitachi SATA. How can I make Windows 10
redetect my Hard Drives?

many moden hard drives are hybrids... what is the hdd model as well please?

Hi

You can check out Defraggler and see if it works better.
I've used it for years to defragment my computers.

One of the best things about it is that once it has been defragmented it has a file defrag mode.
You can chose to just defragment, fragmented files without doing the entire drive, which it can do in only a few minutes.

I do it several times a week, and it keeps my computer all clean and speedy.

Defraggler 2.21.993

It's made by the same people who make CCleaner.

Mike

Just remember if it really is an SSD or is a hybrid with an SSD cache, do not defragment it you will severely reduce the drives life.

The Windows 10 defragger is designed to recognise SDDs. It will automatically only trim/optimise, an SSD

With some older MoBo's Windows can't detect SSD's; you will see a SCSI disk instead.

To avoid that the weekly Auto Defragmentation reduces the life of your SSD, you can tick it off at the properties section of the disk.

If WIndows did detect an SSD, you better leave it that way.

That is interesting, Henk
I know that earlier releases of Windows 10 were having problems with SSDs on a Raid assembly, which was sorted on later editions, but have not heard of anything as specific as your post.
I think this is serious enough to discuss in the Microsoft forums, and, for all, to provide feedback. The Defrag is on by default. For the unwary, this could potentially lower the life of the SSD.
Could you give me any links or info on the subject of ols SSDs, as I would like to take it further.

It are old MoBo's causing that Windows is unable to detect the SSD. It is a common problem. Those old versions of BIOS don't support IDE and AHCI modes. Just recently I did an upgrade where I saw it. I solved it by removing the auto defrag mark somewhere in the properties settings of the disk.

I found the following information on internet:

This only happens, if you change the BIOS settings of the SATA ports from "IDE" to "AHCI" after the Win7 installation.If you do it before starting the OS installation, the in-box MS AHCI driver will automaticly be used by Windows 7 (no risk of any boot problems and no manual registry manipulation required).

And this
For instance, the PC in my profile specs has an 2007 Phoenix-Award BIOS, and it offers what interface/mode you would like to apply to the drive. One option is to run the SATA drive in EIDE mode, or SATA mode. It also offers the option to run RAID, or not. When I apply the EIDE mode to a SATA drive, the drive does not show as an SCSI drive in Disk Management, but when I disable that option it does show up as an SCSI

Thanks for the input. Not enough there, I'm afraid. The quote refers to Windows 7, and the second para to the bios (SATA), which, as I said, has been , hopefully, corrected in the latest Windows 10.

info. Your :"I solved it by removing the auto defrag mark somewhere in the properties settings of the disk."

Start - All Apps - Windows Administrative Tools - Defragment and optimise Drives

Removing Auto Defrag Mark:
Right Click on C: > Properties > Extra > Optimize > Change Settings

BIOS
That old BIOS of that MoBo did not offer a choice between AHCI and EDI and I think that that makes the difference.

Two remarks - and sorry for that!!
- I am on a non English version of Windows, you will probably see slightly different names for options
- I returned that old PC, so I don't have the type number of that MoBo. But it is a common problem; I found many hits in Google.

Hope this helps,
Henk

Last edited:
Trivial observation, Maybe language differences. On my computers, the path you mention is Right Click - Properties - Tools - Optimise. --- No "extra" offered.

Again, your response is appreciated. I am already in a dialogue (usually hopeless!) with MS on the subject.

Capture48.JPG
Hi Henk! Your suggestion worked for me. I now have only the C drive selected to optimize weekly!
Thanks!

Back