Windows 7 Disk Defragmenter Stalls at 0% consolidated...

ooja3k

Has anyone else had this issue??

It defragmented perfectly and quickly but now hangs at 0% consolidated...

I'm using window 7 ultimate evaluation: 7100. At the consolidated stage, it hangs at 0% for about 20mins or more so i guess it would take a while for the percentage to go up,

I'm using window 7 ultimate evaluation: 7100. At the consolidated stage, it hangs at 0% for about 20mins or more so i guess it would take a while for the percentage to go up,

I admit I do not know what the consolidated stage applies to. I am also using W7 Ulimate in a dual boot config. When I clicked on a drive in W7 and went to analyze defrag, all four drives show 0%.

Then I go over to WinXP and it showed two of the drives severly fragmented. I used XP to defrag, but I was wondering if defrag even worked inside W7?

I admit I do not know what the consolidated stage applies to. I am also using W7 Ulimate in a dual boot config. When I clicked on a drive in W7 and went to analyze defrag, all four drives show 0%.

Then I go over to WinXP and it showed two of the drives severly fragmented. I used XP to defrag, but I was wondering if defrag even worked inside W7?

Yes, win7 defrag works, if slowly. I also like and use auslogics defrag program. It's FREE! You might also want to run Chkdsk on each drive. If Chkdsk finds any problems it will let you know youj need to re-run it with the /f option. If Chkdsk finds problems on your boot partition, you will need to reboot.

How badly is your drive fragmented???? I've seen MS SQL Servers become 50+ percent fragmented! However, defragmentting some like that doesn't work well. 18GB database and a 15 GB trans log don't get defragged very easily (Yes, I know it can be done thru SQL itself, but the file still remains fragmented).

OP. Possble answer to your query. How often are you defragging? Perhaps the program assesses that defrag is not required - hence the message?
Fwiw. The Windows 7 defragmentation program, for good or bad, was written specifically for tthe Microsoft OS. If you are interested, you can read up on its features here:
Engineering Windows 7 : Disk Defragmentation ? Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements

I have not used any third party defraggers, so cannot comment on the previous posts but, the Windows defragger is designed to run at low priority. Yes, on first use its takes a great deal of time, possibly up to 20 minutes on some of my previous installations. However, it is designed to run on low priority in the background, and you can carry on your normal work whilst it is operating. On a weekly schedule, assuming you are not constantly installing and uninstalling programs, it takes less than 5 minutes and is not noticeable. Fact is, though, I do not like thrashing my hard disk too often, so, rather than run on a schedule, I use it manually after I have been doing extra work on my computers say, every two or three weeks at the most.

How can you really tell which defragmenter is doing a good job. The summary or chart given is very difficult to determine which is best.

As for 3rd party tools for Windows 7, that's what I use the most.The only Microsoft apps I use are Notepad (occasionally), and Regedit, of course.

Have any of the alternatives worked for you? What about the suggestion to wait a while to see if it gets past 0% consolidating?

I don't even use Notepad because it is so limited. I use Notepad2 and have it set to open instead of Notepad.

I don't even use Notepad because it is so limited. I use Notepad2 and have it set to open instead of Notepad.

What does this have to do with the thread?

If you need an answer to a question, plese start a new thread.:)

Link Removed due to 404 Error
Yes, win7 defrag works, if slowly. I also like and use auslogics defrag program. It's FREE! You might also want to run Chkdsk on each drive. If Chkdsk finds any problems it will let you know youj need to re-run it with the /f option. If Chkdsk finds problems on your boot partition, you will need to reboot.

How badly is your drive fragmented???? I've seen MS SQL Servers become 50+ percent fragmented! However, defragmentting some like that doesn't work well. 18GB database and a 15 GB trans log don't get defragged very easily (Yes, I know it can be done thru SQL itself, but the file still remains fragmented).

I did get the W7 Defragger to at least perform an analysis last week after reading your response, but it always comes back with 0% defragged. Today I looked again first with W7, and then went over to XP and did an analysis. THEY CERTAINLY DON'T PROVIDE RESULTS THAT AGREE. I have attached screen shots - Drives F, G, and L were all reported under XP as "Do NOT need defrag" (but do have some defragmentation as can be seen by the red bars), BUT the H drive is reported by XP as "Should defrag". The XP screen shots were taken immediately after leaving W7 boot. Nothing had been writen to drives F,G,H, or L in the interim.Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I am sorry the attachments are all spread throughout the text. I added them after my post so don't know how to get them to show up at the end only.

Wxp-H-defrag(012510-830.jpgWxp-G(012510-830.jpg

Here are the attachments again, but cannot position the text at the end or beginning????w7-defrag(012510-818).JPGWxp-H(012510-830.jpgWxp-L(012510-830.jpg
pencil.png

It is impossible to compare results of XP and Windows 7 defraggers, as they work with different criteria. You might like to try and plough through this doc, Engineering Windows 7 : Disk Defragmentation ? Background and Engineering the Windows 7 Improvements
particularly note the
"(Quote) In Windows XP, any file that is split into more than one piece is considered fragmented. Not so in Windows Vista if the fragments are large enough – the defragmentation algorithm was changed (from Windows XP) to ignore pieces of a file that are larger than 64MB. "

Here is some lighter reading, which might answer your question on 0% fragmentation.

Improve performance by defragmenting your hard disk

I've seen the defragmenter hang at 0% for quite a while depending on how much work needs to be done. It may be best to stick with the Windows Defragmenter because it is aware of the Volume Shadow Copy service that runs in the background. Restore Points can disappear in some cases.

The Auslogics defragmenter is excellent but you may want to configure the settings. Under algorithms there is something called VSS Compatible Mode.

If a defragmenter is not aware of the Volume Shadow Copy service, you may find that the Shadow Copy Service writes a lot of data to disk. You can check this by looking at Control Panel, System, System Protection, and Configure. The current usage in GB can increase dramatically just running a third party defragmenter. That can result in older Restore Points being deleted.

Back