Windows 7 Disk I/O Error

InitialKev

Honorable Member
I'm having a huge problem with my laptop. Yesterday while playing a video file, Windows Media Player became unresponsive for a good 10-15 minutes. When it came to and I was able to click the close program option. It closed and everything seemed fine. I then decided to restart the system but it failed to start. After staying on the "Starting Windows" screen for a good while it went to the black screen with the Start Up Repair or Start Normally option. I chose the Start Up Repair. It did its thing but it said it wasn't able to automatically repair the system. I clicked "Finish" and it shut down. I tried booting it up this morning and got a black screen saying "Disk I/O Error. Replace disk and press a key." I then shut it down and restarted it and got into the boot options. I ran the diagnostics hoping that it would help. After running for a while I stepped away from the computer for a couple minutes and came back to it shut off. I turned it on again, got the Start Up Repair option which I chose. It failed to repair again. I tried other system recovery options available but all of them failed/ gave an error message when I clicked on it. I tried executing the chkdsk /f /r command and it said "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected". I tried Start Up Repair again which failed. Said the root cause was " A hard disk could not be found. If hard disk is installed, it is not responding."

Is my only option now is to get a new hard drive? I have a fairly recent backup so I'm not that concerned with retrieving my files. I just need my Quickbooks program for work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Quick update. I booted up the system, got the same black screen to choose Start Up Repair or Start Normally. I chose start normally just for the hell of it and surprisingly it started up albeit slower than usual. Everything is running really slow though. I do have some sort of error/ warning for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Says open application for details but nothing happens when I open it.

So now my question is, how do I get it to run normally again and what should I do to prevent any further damage to the hard drive?

Also now I'm afraid to shut it down or use any programs that I need to.

Last edited:
Update again. Intel Rapid Storage Technology finally opened. Said Disk on port 0 was at risk. I clicked the link/ button to reset it and now it says my system is functioning normally. The system was moving normally afterwards but I tried opening an Excel file but failed to open. Then after a few minutes the "Disk on port 0: At risk" warning came back. I reset it again but I think it's going to fail again.

Should I try using the "chkdsk /f /r" command?

Also the light that indicates the computer is processing something is constantly on.

Last edited:
You could try a different SATA port first if that does not help do the steps below.
Sounds like your drive maybe going bad. Make sure you have any important data backed up.
Go to the manufacture's site of your hard drive and get their drive diagnostic program and run it on the drive.
If there are errors that are not repairable and the drive is still under warranty, get a replacement from them.
If out of warranty you will have to purchase a new drive.

I bought a Samsung 500GB SSD and I tried to reinstall Windows but it tells me that the HD is not big enough and I need one that is at least 598 GB.That doesn't seem right to me as Windows shouldn't take up THAT much space. My original HD is 640 GB if that makes a difference. Someone told me that it is trying to locate the same partition size that I had before and I need to do a fresh install. Is using the recovery disks to install Windows not considered a fresh install?

I ordered a 1T SSD and a hard drive reader so hopefully I can at least see if I can get my data off of it.

I'm using the recovery disks that I made when I first got the computer. I chose the "Factory Reset" option and not restore from a previous image.

Back