Windows 10 Disk usage always at 100%, random fps drop

poshwan

I've already disabled Superfetch and sysmain, but my disk usage is still always at 100%. How do I fix this? Not sure if that's related to my random fps dropping? Help with fps dropping is appreciated too.

PC specs-
Asus rog GL753VD
windows 10 64-bit
hard drive: Seagate firecuda gaming 2tb SSHD 2.5inch sata 6gb
gpu: nvidia geforce gtx 1050 4gb
cpu: intel core i7-7700HQ

Disabling superfetch will degrade an SSD faster due to the increase in write operations. You can either use the built-in resource monitor and performance monitor or download and run procexp from sysinternals to determine what is causing the resource spike.

I tried a process explorer and here are the results. I sorted from highest to lowest usage, and nothing seems to be using an abnormal amount. Any other ideas?

Attachments

• test.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 228
You don't have the I/O columns enabled. Right click on the column headers and add the Delta Read and Delta Writes, sort by those

Here. Anything look abnormal?

Attachments

• testttt.png
    222 KB · Views: 240
No doesn't look like the disk is pegged at all.
What could the issue be then? Task manager always says disk usage is at 100% or near 95%. Windows freeze when I am dragging them around my screen as well. I'm really stuck at what the issue is.

Well yeah a game is going to be reading and writing a lot of data so that's normal.

When it's pegged on just the desktop what does proexp show and you may also when to look at resource monitor it's quite a bit more granular than task manager.

In some cases I've seen system services pegging the system due to operating system corruption.

You can try running , from an elevated (administrator) command prompt sfc /scannow and also run chkdsk C: /R

First i would like to see the snapshot of your task manager exactly which apps are causing 100% CPU.

I had this issue and it seems some others encountered the bug. What fixed it for me is going to settings, system, notifications, and turning off "show me tips about Windows." I believe that was the one causing problems, though I turned all of them off besides the app notifications. System processes went back down after a restart and haven't spiked since.

Norton, Origin, Steam and Chrome are all going to be scanning your sshd at the same time... to be clear a sshd is not the same as a ssd and you need to let the system scan run so it knows what data to load into the fast access part

i would;
remove Norton, disable Origin and Steam unless I'm actually playing those games... one at a time
Chrome = up to you

Last edited: