Windows 7 Display Driver kernel 191.07 failed but recovered...*sigh*

AbsintheMinded

Hey guys,

Ok, I need some help before I explode. I have tried almost everything and nothing seems to work. My system goes as follows:

-An EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

-A EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard

-An Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

-300 GB Veliocoraptor HD

-Windows 7 Home Premium

-and CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

My problem is that everytime I load up a game, it immediately crashes and freezes up. Every game I have has been through this procedure. The funny thing is that my desktop with windows Aero and the background changes work perfectly...everything seems to work fine, even my netflix. The only problem seems to be when the games load up, and that is obvious that is where the graphics card starts to perform. Then that stupid message pops up and I am back at square one. This has also happened in Vista.

Im looking for other possible solutions instead of taking a sledge hammer to my video card and mobo. I have tried everything for a week: Install old drivers, update the chipsets, move the video card to a different pci-express slot...the only thing I didnt do was flash the bios but I dont think it should come down to that. I also have not tried to remove my gigs of RAM, because quite honestly that is retarded if people think that is the proper solution. I have looked at every website for details and none seem to help me (and because most date back to 2007...you gotta be kiddin me).

Im out of hope! I want to play my damn games and watch High-Def material. Ugh....someone please help! :)

Thank you

Last edited:
I'm afraid that if you've got all the up to date drivers and your still getting problems then that bios update is probably where your answer lies.. Usually, luckily for us, the manufacturers have made this a relatively simple process and you r probably best to check the website of EVGA:

Note: If you are having difficulties downloading the driver file, please make sure you completely disable any third party download managers.

Bios Version : S71CBIOS Date : 10/23/2009Bios File : E757S71C.bin (Primary Download Link)Notes : The following has been updated in S71C:
  • Increased Shadow Memory in DOS for PXE
  • Improved USB Support
INSTRUCTIONS: BIOS updating can be accomplished VIA one of the below methods:

CD Method (Blank CD and CD Rewritable Drive Required)
  • Download the following .iso file: E757_S71C.iso
  • Use CD Burning software to burn the .iso image onto a blank CD (Nero, Alochol 120%, MagicISO etc.)
  • After it has burned, insert CD and restart the machine, go into the BIOS and load defaults, save and exit.
  • Now set the CD Drive as the primary boot device, or press escape while the system is booting to select CD as the bootable device.
  • After flash remove the CD, and power off PC Completely.
  • Turn on the PC and load defaults in BIOS
USB FLOPPY (Floppy Disk and Disk Drive Required)
  • Download the following executable: E757_S71C.exe
  • Insert blank floppy disk into drive and run executable.
  • Now set the USB Floppy as the primary boot device, or press escape while the system is booting to select USB Floppy as the bootable device.
  • After flash remove the floppy, power off PC Completely.
  • Turn on the PC and load defaults in BIOS.
USB Flash Drive Installation
  • Download E757S71C.bin.
  • Visit this thread and follow the installation instructions. (thanks 30h6).
  • Warning:
    **Do not restart or interrupt your PC while the flash is ongoing
    **Do not Flash BIOS on overclocked settings
    **It is always recommended to power-down after flash and Clear CMOS
Legacy BIOS:
E757S71C.bin
E757S71A.bin
E757S719.bin
E757S717.bin

S71C Updates:
  • Increased Shadow Memory in DOS for PXE
  • Improved USB Support
S71A Updates:
  • Restores Bootup Logo
  • Maximum Payload for PCIE
  • SMART Fan Temperatures from 0 to 100c
S719 Updates:
  • Improves Bootup BClock
  • Adds B2B CAS Delay
S717 Updates:
  • Smartfan is listed by temp they are adjusted to
  • PXE fix with RAID enabled
  • Improves bootup BCLK
  • Improves 24GB support
  • Smartfan improvements
I copied and pasted from the EVGA site about bios's .Above is the latest bios for your board,but just to make sure it's the correct one, check here:

http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp?switch=2

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I will try this out and update this thread when possible.

One more question though...

How does one Clear CMOS?

I saw this towards the bottom of the warnings on the post...any details?

Thanks!

To clear the cmos either refer to your motherboard manual and it will tell you the correct jumper settings...or.... Remove the bios battery for a minute or so. Your bios will then return to default values.

Ok...

I tried burning the .iso file onto a blank disk to try and flash my motherboard. I do everything the instructions tell me, and then when I try to boot from the CD, nothing happens. Its like there is nothing on the disk (even though there is). Then it just boots regularly to windows 7. Is there something else I need attatched to the disk? Am I burning the material wrong? Or is there something else that is not included in the steps?

Don't forget to look for the moment when 'press any key to boot from CD' appears on the screen otherwise the pc will just find the boot material and boot from it..
The message appears in the first few screens when you boot up so you have to be quick!

Kemical, first of all I really appreciate you sticking with me. This type of troubleshooting can get very frustrating and I am glad to know there are people out there willing to help.

There is no message stating "press any key to boot from cd". When the message appears, it just says "boot from cd:" and immediately goes to the windows 7 load screen. I press any button just in case and it goes to a screen that states about repairing windows 7 and to boot normally for windows 7. I even set my bios to have the first boot priority for "cd-rom". Thats why I was wondering if there was something else that needed to be burned on the disk or if maybe I am burning the disk the wrong way. I am not sure...

I used MagicIso and just downloaded the image file on the program, and then burned the cd. I also used Nero for a second disk thinking it was wrong as well. Do I need to use a .bin file? Do I have to burn the file in a different way (if there is one)? Or do I need to transfer anything into the program?

Don't worry about me giving up on your problem.. That just doesn't happen....:cool:

How fast are you burning the iso? I always use this free app: Ashampoo Burning Studio Free - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com and don't burn any faster than 4x...

The instructions do say change the boot order to CD first so you have got that part correct. So either, the disk is faulty, you've been burning the file too fast or the iso file is incorrect for your motherboard...

Can you try any of the other methods mentioned?

Nothing. Absoluetly nothing. God this is pissing me off...

So I am going to do the USB Flash drive BIOS update instead. I read that it is not any more dangerous, and it seems pretty legit. Everyone who has posted on the forum in EVGA has not really had a problem...

...I'll post later with results. *crosses fingers*

The flash worked great!

...however, it didnt help my situation. Im so close to getting either a new mobo or video card...I cant handle it anymore!

Have any more suggestions? Like maybe what kind of weapon to use on my system?

Phewww... I was looking for your post all evening.. I was worried that the flash wouldn't go ok but anyhow it didn't work after all..
I reread your initial post and you mention about an error message popping up.. What does it say?

Also I don't think it's your motherboard as you say everything else runs fine until you try a game..

I would say it's either your card, memory or HDD..

You can test your RAM with this app: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool Only test one stick at a time though..

As for your graphics card, is it possible to test it in a different machine like a friends perhaps?

Try running chkdsk and see if it complete's ok, if it does then your HDD is probably ok (remember to tick the box to repair broken sectors)..

Please let me know about the error message..

It will say something along the lines like "dispaly kernel mode driver ***.** (the stars mean the type of driver I have right now...its 191.07 the latest from nvidia) has stopped responding and has fully recovered"...or something like that.

I will try to run the memory test and let you know....hopefully something comes up.

Actually Kemical, could you list the best order of operations? As in, could you give me the proper steps for all three of the options listed? Im not too keen on HDD and Memory testing and I dont want to screw that up. I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hmm..actually that error message tells me that it's most likely a driver problem.. Here is an updated driver:
32Bit
Forceware 195.39 Win 7 | Vista (32-bit ) download from Guru3D.com
64Bit
Forceware 195.39 Win 7 | Vista (64-bit ) download from Guru3D.com

Also contain in this link here: TweakGuides.com - Nvidia Forceware Tweak Guide is a guide to everything you ever wanted to know about nvidia drivers as well as the best way for installation and removal. I cannot recommend reading this enough (well at least the section on driver installation)
Good luck..

sorry to bust in on this thread but which one of the mem tests is a good one to download, there is quiet a few options. i am running win 7 pro 64 bit.

Ok, so I did the forceware...and now it goes to a blue screen with the nvlddmkm.sys file error listed smack dab in the middle...

...dammit

No worries..see the screenshot. Just download and mount to CD/DVD. Change your boot order to boot from CD first and boot from the disk you've just made...test your RAM. Remember to only test one stick at a time otherwise errors can be missed.

I don't want to offend so please don't be when i ask how have you been installing the drivers? Do you un-install the old ones and install the new ones?

I'm also reading vis google that sometimes taking out a stick of RAM helps?

Last edited:
Back