Windows 7 Do I need to remove Windows 7 RC before upgrading XP to Win 7

Garymac

I am running Windows XP 32 bit on my C: drive and Windows 7 RC on a second hard drive H: , using a dual boot system. I have not even used XP since installing Win 7. All my data files are located on H: and also backed up to an external hard drive. I will be upgrading (clean install) of Windows 7 to my C: drive. My question is, is it necessary to remove the Win 7 RC installation from drive H: or can I simply go back later and just format H: to clean up the drive. It will become a data drive only.

I will move all my data files on H: into a Public Folder first so I can copy them back to C:, as I am sure I will not be able to access them later because of permissison issues. I am right in this thinking?

I am running Windows XP 32 bit on my C: drive and Windows 7 RC on a second hard drive H: , using a dual boot system. I have not even used XP since installing Win 7. All my data files are located on H: and also backed up to an external hard drive. I will be upgrading (clean install) of Windows 7 to my C: drive. My question is, is it necessary to remove the Win 7 RC installation from drive H: or can I simply go back later and just format H: to clean up the drive. It will become a data drive only.

I will move all my data files on H: into a Public Folder first so I can copy them back to C:, as I am sure I will not be able to access them later because of permissison issues. I am right in this thinking?
With H: present you need a good boot manager (like BootItNG) to keep them (your RTM and RC) separate during installation of the RTM. It might be easier to just format H: first if you are careful to make sure your data is in a safe place.

No. Just boot from win 7 disk... go to the custom install.. I think it formats automatically.... you will know its going to format if you get the message saying all your data will be lost on c:

Back