Windows 7 Do you need to reinstall 7 each time a new build comes out?

chaseincats

As the title says do we need to reinstall 7 each time a new build is released or is it updated through windows update?

Thanks,
chaseincats

there will be no new build. the next thing is a RC (release candide) and yes you will.

right but will we get the 7025 features via windows update assuming it is real and assuming their will be builds subsequent to 7000 (which their have to be to get to RC1 be them legal or not)

As far as I'm concerned - if the beta is not updated through Windows Update, it is not updated or a 'new build'.

MS put this beta out to the public to be tested and to get feedback from.
But what use is it if MS will not release updates so that the beta testers can see the bugs being fixed?

I have reported problems, but as yet have seen 0 OS updates. Windows Defender updates are all I get.
Most of my problems are in Media Center and Media Player.

If I don't see the issues I report resolved within the beta testing, then what incentive do I have to upgrade from XP to W7? A bit of eye-candy with less functionality?
I think not!

If there is indeed a build 7025, then it should be made available to all beta testers - either through Windows Update, or a separate download with proper notification.

There is no external build 7025.

Since installing an earlier build of Windows 7 (Technet subscription) I have only received 2 OS relevant updates. I have , however, like, I am sure, everybody, received a further 6 updates for hardware issues. This would,of course, depend on your particular hardware.
I think it is unrealistic to ecpect an update for every feedback lodged. Microsoft need time to evaluate the input and decide if complaints are hardware or OS specific.
I understand (I don't use it ) the media centre is a major source of problems. I am sure it is being examined and will be rectified in the RC.
" what incentive do I have to upgrade from XP to W7? A bit of eye-candy with less functionality?"
Sorry. No advice there. I could only ask what incentive made you purchase XP after Windows 98, without the opportunity (As with the majority of purchasers) of Beta testing.

I could only ask what incentive made you purchase XP after Windows 98, without the opportunity (As with the majority of purchasers) of Beta testing.
It was pre-installed on a new computer.

And you're right, we should not expect updates for every issue raised. Nor should we expect any so soon into testing. But I do hope they keep the public beta testers in the loop of updates as they do come out. I would like to see some improvement in my worst problem areas before the beta expires. It would at least lessen my concerns about moving to a new OS.

what would you guys say are the most notable problems/hinderances of 7?

Upgrade installations for me didn't work right and the W7 degraded to an low point forcing a re-install. A fresh install on a freshly reformatted drive works best, and is the only way I'd install it from now on.

Updates and other Betas

I have auto updates enabled and on auto. So far I have received 1 update. Since Windows 7 is on a test computer and on its own drive I am not to worried about what MS is doing. I have found lots of problems and reported everyone specially with certain security controls, ie, UAC, firewall hardening, easier setting rules and port blocking. The windows system is one of the hardest to protect due to users clicking and opening everything that appears before them thus MS is stuck between a rock and a stone trying to protect the user.

A firewall is important but being constantly nagged about a antivirus is very annoying and than showing only certain ones is anti-competitive. I find it very bad that they are recommending a a/v that is going to charge one for using it on a Beta product or one that expires before the Beta does. The other area is MS really needs to divorce the browser from the actual windows operating system. Until they do this Windows will always have a security problem.

Back
Top Bottom