Windows 10 Does defragmenting really help? Yes!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

The image below shows the performance of my drives after being tested by Defraggler.
The F drive is the drive that I store my Backup System Image files on, and it is the only one, (based on information that I've read that says don't defrag your backups) that has never been defragmented.

There is a pretty big contrast between the performance of this drive, (a partition of the same drive that shares the E drive, and the other drives.
Granted this is an extreme example, since the drive is very fragmented but it does show that defragmenting does really make a difference.

Defrag Works 2.jpg

I use Defraggler to defragment my drives because it will allow you to defragment individual files.

I have found that when processing large 3D animations into video that having the file defragmented can be the difference between having the process stall and not complete and having is sail through with no problems.

Now whenever I do it I defragment the file first.

A file made up of 1,000 1920 by 1080 images can get pretty big.
Even a 10 second clip is 300 frames, and I've sometimes done clips as long a 2.400 frames when lip sync is involved.

Mike

Last edited:
I am guessing they are all spinners, Mike?
I would think (?) that today, the majority of users have SSDs. There is only a slight improvement from most modern spinners, but SSDs would not show any worthwhile. Most recommendations are that you should not defrag themI fact, you will find many defrag programs cannot, but, similar to the MS version, do a quick "tune-up"

Yeah, my computer is over 4 years old and I'm about to get a new one, I'm looking forward to having my programs and games installed on a SSD.
I have Windows on an SSD but it didn't appear to be much faster than my regular hard drives in this test.

Samsung's tester says it's working normally but I would have expected it to show much faster.

I used to run an SSD as my os drive (Samsung 840 250GB) with a 500GB Seagate spinner.

Speed of the SSD using RAPID Mode enabled: Approx 6, 000 MB/S

Speed of the Spinner: Approx 80 MB/S.

I've always seen a difference although admitted it can depend on the task at hand.

Hi

I'm using the same drive, I just ran the Samsung Magician tests and the results come up quite different then Defraggler.
Maybe Defraggler can't measure the SSD accurately.

SSD Stats.JPG

This looks a lot more like what I expected.

Mike

Back