Windows 10 Does upgrading clear everything?

Wadey

Hi All

Please forgive me if this is a bit of a silly question, but I've noticed how my windows laptop has gone so slow over time. I understand that this is due to files being saved and slowing everything down (is that right?)

As such, when I do an upgrade, will this clear out all the rubbish that's saved on my PC so it goes quicker or will it still be as slow as previous?

Please forgive me if this is a bit of a silly question, but I've noticed how my windows laptop has gone so slow over time. I understand that this is due to files being saved and slowing everything down (is that right?)
Hi Wadey,
Windows installations can sometimes slow up especially if there hasn't been a great deal of maintenance. Using something like Ccleaner and defragging the hard driver helps no end as does keeping the system updated.
Try using Ccleaner to clean up old files:
CCleaner - Download

This will tell you how to use the defragger:
Improving performance by defragmenting your hard disk - Windows Help

The upgrade will place all your files and folders into a folder marked Windows.old although whether this will speed up the system really depends on how the upgrade goes. some users complain their systems are slow after the upgrade but if that's the case simply wait until your new key is issued (usually 24hrs after upgrading) and then use that to perform a clean install which will really clean out the crap.. ;)

Hi Wadey,
Windows installations can sometimes slow up especially if there hasn't been a great deal of maintenance. Using something like Ccleaner and defragging the hard driver helps no end as does keeping the system updated.
Try using Ccleaner to clean up old files:

This will tell you how to use the defragger:

The upgrade will place all your files and folders into a folder marked Windows.old although whether this will speed up the system really depends on how the upgrade goes. some users complain their systems are slow after the upgrade but if that's the case simply wait until your new key is issued (usually 24hrs after upgrading) and then use that to perform a clean install which will really clean out the crap.. ;)

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you :)

I've got my pc dualbooted with Ubuntu at the moment, will a clean install wipe the partition?

I should mention though do make sure you perform an upgrade first though otherwise you won't get your new key..

Back