Windows 7 Doesn't shutdown or restart

Was having the same issues, especialy after uninstalling large applications (100-259 mb), unistalled nrton antivirus (installed clamwin antivirus instead) all seems ok, not completly satisfied that norton was the issue!

I was havign a similar issu as well. When I would shut down i would get the the screen where it says "shuting down" but it then would hang on that screen forever. I'm uninstalling Norton 360 now and hopefully that will cure the problem.

Same problem here. I also noticed that this only occurs when Explorer (or maybe DWM) is misbehaving. I'll open up My Computer and won't be able to see any icons or maybe I see them but I cant get into the drives.

See if any of you guys are having this issue also right before trying to shut down.

Ok been a couple of days since I uninstalled Norton 360 antivirus and have had no further shut down issues,

so to complete the test I'Ve reformatted and reinstall all major software with out Norton 360 (using clamwin antivirus instead),

and have had no Problems.

(BTW Openoffice Works nicly on windows 7)

I am also having this problem running Win7 build 7000 on a Samsung NC-10 with 2gb of RAM. At first when I installed it, everything ran great. After installing firefox, windows mobile device center, avast! antivirus, everything still ran great. Then about three days ago the start menu started crashing, with the program icons not displaying and links not working. Then explorer will just FREEZE and I'll be unable to end proccesses. I thought about doing a reinstall but I'd rather know what the bug is first since it seems to be a spreading issue.

I can't shutdown when this happens, and I have to do a hard restart. Let's hope someone gets to the bottom of it.

Windows 7 shutdown problem

I am having the same shutdown problem. I used the beta version for several months with no problems. When I go to shutdown it appears to be shutting down but the fans continue to run and pushing the power button on the front case does not restart the PC. I have to use the PC power switch on the back of the PC to shut it down. Turning the power back it allows me to restart the PC with no problems. Any suggestions?

I am having the same shutdown problem. I used the beta version for several months with no problems. When I go to shutdown it appears to be shutting down but the fans continue to run and pushing the power button on the front case does not restart the PC. I have to use the PC power switch on the back of the PC to shut it down. Turning the power back it allows me to restart the PC with no problems. Any suggestions?

read this.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/5028-windows-7-wont-shut-down-help.html

Thanks for the advice.

I was able to complete the exact instruction steps for the LSI 1394 compliant host controller but that was NOT successful in correcting my problem. I have an Intel MB DP45SG with a dual core processor E8400. (Home built.) Updated the bios about a week ago. Any other ideas?

If I push the power button on the front of the PC in for 5-8 seconds the PC does power down all the way and I don't have to reach behind the PC to turn off the power switch on the back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.

I was able to complete the exact instruction steps for the LSI 1394 compliant host controller but that was NOT successful in correcting my problem. I have an Intel MB DP45SG with a dual core processor E8400. (Home built.) Updated the bios about a week ago. Any other ideas?

If I push the power button on the front of the PC in for 5-8 seconds the PC does power down all the way and I don't have to reach behind the PC to turn off the power switch on the back.

with the time table, month ago you have had no problems, a week ago you updated bios, w/e w7 version you have now, was that operating system installed before the bios update? and were you having problems with previous bios version?

The bios was updated while still using the Windows 7 beta. The old bios and w7 beta had no shutdown problems.

Installed Windows 7 and the problem began.

PC not shutting down

Same issue, desktop PC (under Win 7 64bits build 7100) would properly close all apps, sometimes installing new software before closing, then shows "Shutting down" message ("Arret en cours" in French) for at least 10-15 minutes without any read/write on the HDD, just idling. It then restarts automatically.

It never shuts down except when on/off button is pressed for 5 seconds or pushed just after a reset, while BIOS starts.

I am wondering if this can be a hardware issue as I have no problem with laptop, which has roughly the same things installed (avast antivirus, Yahoo widgets, Steam, Skype, MSN Live etc...) but it sounds strange.

Motherboard is an Asus P5Q PRO, CPU Intel Core 2 duo 8400. I have 3 sata drives and 1 IDE or alternatively 2 DVD players plugged in IDE. Not 100% sure I plugged all small connectors at the right place on the mobo when changing before installing Win 7.

I may try to find the time to install Win XP on a disk to see if it does the same with older system.

shutdown issues with M-Audio cards

Thank you Strech

I actually managed to sort my problem out, as I accidentally saw a forum with same issue caused by my secondary soundcard, an M-Audio Delta Aduiophile 24-96.

Solution is a script to get launched at shutdown as per following thread:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Nasty one wasn't it ?

I haven't reinstalled the driver on my final Home edition version, so can't say if it's just on RC build 7100 or also on final Win 7...

Fix for computer not powering down after shutdown windows 7!

FIX FOR COMPUTER NOT POWERING DOWN AFTER SHUTDOWN WINDOWS 7!

If your motherboard has a firewire port, you will need to check in device manager if it is set to allow the computer to switch off the device. You can do this by going to properties of the devices under IEEE1394 Bus host controller and going to power management. After that, make sure the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked.

Step by step for noobs:
"Windows Start Button" >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine, not sure) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

Now your computer will shut down normally :)

Windows 7 shutdown problem

Thanks for the information. I tried that awhile back without any success. If you think of another potential solution let me know. Thanks again.

FIX FOR COMPUTER NOT POWERING DOWN AFTER SHUTDOWN WINDOWS 7!

If your motherboard has a firewire port, you will need to check in device manager if it is set to allow the computer to switch off the device. You can do this by going to properties of the devices under IEEE1394 Bus host controller and going to power management. After that, make sure the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked.

Step by step for noobs:
"Windows Start Button" >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine, not sure) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

Now your computer will shut down normally :)

Sorry to hear it didnt work.

I saw another post that said they removed the extra USB port that came with their mother board and that fixed it for them. I guess for some the cheap extra USB plug causes the same issue where the computer won't shut down. Although I had this plugged in on my MB, it wasn't my issue as it's back in and works.

I am surprised to hear that it wasn't your firewire power management causing the issue of not letting your computer turn off all the way.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

I saw another post that said they removed the extra USB port that came with their mother board and that fixed it for them. I guess for some the cheap extra USB plug causes the same issue where the computer won't shut down. Although I had this plugged in on my MB, it wasn't my issue as it's back in and works.

I am surprised to hear that it wasn't your firewire power management causing the issue of not letting your computer turn off all the way.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

Did they unplug the USB port or was it a software fix? Any idea as to what extra USB port they removed? We have eight ports with two of them being on the front.

Did they unplug the USB port or was it a software fix? Any idea as to what extra USB port they removed? We have eight ports with two of them being on the front.

Some motherboards come with an "add-on" USB module that connects to your mother board via wires and sets in the back of the box just like a network card or AGP/PCI graphics card, where you use a tiny screw to set it in place in the back of your machine, giving you a couple more USB ports. I'm pretty sure that is the USB they were talking about having this issue with. Yes, try disconnecting it if you have one of these cheapo plastic screw in modules.

The USB in the front of your computer (comes as part of your computer tower/case) was not what they were talking about. Keep in mind that I read it in some forum somewhere while troubleshooting this issue. The guy who posted it could have been A.D.D. or something, lol you know?

Sorry to say that you'll need to be a troubleshooting engineer and keep trying different stuff you find online like this. Unless you want to pay a shop to fix it. They deal with this stuff everyday and usually root out the issue fast. Especially with alot of people upgrading to Vista 7. I rolled back to winXP. That fixed EVERYTHING.

Wether it's Win7/Microsoft's fault for making a shotty OS that isn't backwards compatible, or it's your software or hardware vendors fault for not being upwards compatible (so you have to buy thier latest products, yes it's a conspiracy to defraud you into more purchases), there is no reason to move to 7. It's just a new candy wrapper that sticks to your mouth and fingers and gets all over your clothes and makes you want to run screaming down the road bashing your computer to pieces.

Last edited:
I have an intel core 2 duo motherboard with an intel E8400 CPU. This is less than a year old and is a homebuilt (my sixth home built). I have no cheap USB module that is an "add-on" to my computer. This computer has an identical sister computer that was built at the same time for one of my sons. He has the identical problem. (Not surprised) I love windows 7 but wish I could get it to shutdown and turn off at the end of the day. I can live with turning off using the "on-off" button on the power supply but it is an inconvenience. That's my situation. Any help or thoughts will be pondered and if it sounds realistic it will be tried.

Back