Windows 7 Doesn't shutdown or restart

jblazea50

Every time I try to shutdown or restart the Windows 7 build 7000, it doesn't do anything. I have to press the power button and shut it down manually.

What can be the problem?

Having the same problem. Be nice if a support team could help us out or point us in the right direction.

Im also in the 7000 build.

Well it's working fine for me, perhaps your drivers are incompatible. Try booting into Safe Mode.

Best

Jordan

Doesn't really sound like a driver issues i'm not even sure a driver is used in that process I think Its just a command that windows sends to the bios, could be wrong. :confused: Does It even act like it's trying to shut down? Give you and Error Message? Freeze up? can you here any hard drive activity start up right after you hit shut down (or hd drive light start Blinking)? Sounds Like a bug to me. Anybody reported it yet?

It does nothing. It just sits there. Never shows any signs that it is trying to shut down or anything...:mad:

Yeah idk if anyone reported it yet or not...

Well I have reformatted 5 times since using Windows 7. There is always some little error that happens that makes A LOT of errors and then makes my computer nonoperational.

Anyway anyone finds a fix then let me know mean while I really don't care because I don't shutdown my computer anyway. But it would be nice to fix so i know it works...

I am going to guess that you have a program installed on your computer that is interfering with the shutdown and restart of the system. I have heard no one else report such an error yet so it does not seem to be the beta. Can you list all software packages you have installed on your pc?

Norton360, teamspeak, microsoft office, firefox, filezilla, adobe acrobat reader and presenter.

That is all the programs i have installed so far :p lol

Hi to everyone. Just saw this forum yesterday. I loaded this release (7000) and have been testing out some things. I have done a shutdown and seen the Windows is shutting down message and then nothing. I have also seen it work properly. Don't have very much loaded on it at this time other then FSX. Mainly trying to see the speed difference between Vista and Win-7. I'll post other things in the appropriate threads as they occur.

Norton360, teamspeak, microsoft office, firefox, filezilla, adobe acrobat reader and presenter.

That is all the programs i have installed so far :p lol
Hi. I've been having a problem much like this that I posted about in the thread of someone else, as my problem was more similar to theirs. In addition to not being able to shut down I am having issues with windows explorer.

Anyway, the only program I have in common with yours is firefox. I'm not sure if that is the problem though because it is a common program and other people seem to be getting along fine.

I posted more about this problem in this thread
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/1084-windows-explorer-shutdown-problem.html#post6036

I can restart, my issue is when i select shutdown, my laptop immediately restarts. haven't had a whole lot of luck with sleep mode either. it ssems like the screen shuts down, but that's it.

toshiba satellite

When I click "Shut Down" from the Start menu, Windows notifies me that it is logging off, then notifies me it is shutting down. That's good. My screen then goes black, but the computer itself never actually shuts off; it simply restarts. My BIOS settings have remained unchanged since I using Windows XP (different harddrive) and XP had no problems actually turning off the computer. I verified in the BIOS that all of the "wake on..." settings have been disabled. I went into Windows' Power Options control panel applet and made sure that the setting, "When shut down is clicked, perform the following action... Shut Down" I checked my keyboard and mouse device driver settings (they are PS2) to make sure there are no "wake on..." settings enabled there (and there aren't). I also checked my network adapter in device manager and did uncheck the "wake on..." feature there. I think I covered everything. I only installed a Print Driver (made for Vista x64), but the shut down issue was occuring before that anyway. My system specs are as follows...

Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Crucial Ballistix 2Gb (2x1Gb)
EVGA 8800GTS 640Mb
Hitachi 80Gb HDD (Pata - was laying around so used it)
Plextor PX760A DVD-R/W
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

Multiple attempts

When I have a crashed program (all too frequent) I have to restart or shutdown to be able to even use the programs. In cases like that, I find I usually have to repeatedly click on restart or shutdown for it to work, and then it takes forever.

When I have a crashed program (all too frequent) I have to restart or shutdown to be able to even use the programs. In cases like that, I find I usually have to repeatedly click on restart or shutdown for it to work, and then it takes forever.​

Have you tried to kill non-responsive programs in task manager?

Have you tried to kill non-responsive programs in task manager?

Yes, and it doesn't work. The windows remain and I cannot reopen the programs until I've restarted, which then requires multiple attempts.

The OS shuts down fine if there are no crashes.

I'm having the same issue. Won't shut down or restart.. I have to hold power button to restart. Maybe its a virus.

Back