Windows 7 Don't boot after disconnecting second hard drive

magisterd

Hi,

I installed first Windows XP in a IDE hard disk, then installed Windows 7 (7100) 64 Ultimate in a SATA hard disk. The Windows 7 and the dual booting were working perfectly. Today, I disconnected the IDE hard disk with the Windows XP and try to boot my computer only with the Windows 7 and it didn't boot, neither when i reconnected the IDE hard disk. It halts after the post at "booting from CD". I change the device boot order and it didn't worked. I tried to repair several times with the Windows 7 installation DVD and it didn't work. Now I can't use my computer with windows 7. Is there a solution, besides re-installing again Windows 7 ?

Help!

Hi,

I installed first Windows XP in a IDE hard disk, then installed Windows 7 (7100) 64 Ultimate in a SATA hard disk. The Windows 7 and the dual booting were working perfectly. Today, I disconnected the IDE hard disk with the Windows XP and try to boot my computer only with the Windows 7 and it didn't boot, neither when i reconnected the IDE hard disk. It halts after the post at "booting from CD". I change the device boot order and it didn't worked. I tried to repair several times with the Windows 7 installation DVD and it didn't work. Now I can't use my computer with windows 7. Is there a solution, besides re-installing again Windows 7 ?

Help!

I tried to repair several times with the Windows 7 installation DVD and it didn't work.
Did you try repair using Win 7 DVD after you reconnected your IDE HDD exactly as it was before in the dual boot system as far as Master/Slave/Cable select option is concerned?. If not try that see your result and post.

Yes I did it. I tried the reparation option after I reconnected the IDE hard disk. The computer halts after the post at "boot from cd" and then nothing happens. Only boot if I insert the Windows 7 DVD.

Yes I did it. I tried the reparation option after I reconnected the IDE hard disk. The computer halts after the post at "boot from cd" and then nothing happens. Only boot if I insert the Windows 7 DVD.

This is a long shot. Just in case Win 7 had corrupted XP's Boot sector you may try Fixboot command
Boot with WinXP System CD and if prompts to press any key to boot from CD, press a key and let Windows XP setup begin

In the screen to choose one of 3 Startup Options menu , Press R for Repair and use Recovery Console and go to WinXP partition and after Admin password get the Command prompt.
EXample:
1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to ?
(To cancel, press ENTER)Enter the number for the appropriate Windows installation. In this example, you would press 1. Then, Windows prompts you to enter the Administrator account password.
once you are at the command prompt , type FIXBOOT [ENTER] and affirm to Windows Y/N question

The other Recovery Console command is FixMBR if the MBR is corrupt. I hope this will restore your WinXP. Later you can reinstall Win 7 RC as Custom .

Solved

Hi,

I disconnected the SATA hard disk and only connected the IDE disk with the XP installation, and I could boot with XP. Also, the boot menu showed before booting XP. Then I re-connected both drives and could boot also with the Windows 7 installation.

Thank you very much for your help!

Back