Windows 7 Doubt about Call of Duty 5 & DirectX 9.0c

Colossus

Hi all. I'm kinda new here, and I've encoutered a problem on my Windows 7. I was installing World at War. During installation I refused to install Punkbuster (online play isnt my thing, mostly), and I refused DirectX 9.0c (since W7 has DirectX 11). But the moment installation finished, it gave some sort of critical failure error and said that the game wasnt properly installed. Is this because of not installing Dx 9? And what would happen if I DID install Dx 9? Would it completely overwrite Dx 11? Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance..

Oh, forgot to add. System specs-:
W7 (32 bit)
Core2Due 2.53 GHz, 2 GB RAM
Nvidia 9500GT 1 GB VRAM

Last edited:
if not playing online you may not need PB but you will need to load dx9, even if W7 does utilize dx11 there is nothing out there running it yet, dont worry about it

Hmm ok.. is Dx 11 available for download? Like if I need it later or something?

Ok I tried installing DirectX 9 in the setup as well. Got the same error. It says Error: 0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure. So I restored after that to get my Dx 11 back. Now I have no clue how to make this game work. Can anybody help me with this?

Last edited:
I am not a game player so cannot offer any advice here. But helpful comments and exchange of information, can sometimes lead to a possible compromise and solution, for good or bad. Your comment, Pepper, is not even close to those categories.

reinstall the whole game including dx9, it has its own separate DLL file and will not effect dx11 or dx10 for that matter

If you look carefully, you'll notice that I mentioned that I already tried installing DirectX 9.0c with the Call of Duty 5 setup. I still got the same error message.
@Pepper Wadlow, Esq.
If you run dxdiag in Win7 you'll see that the DirectX version is 11, so that's what I was saying. If you have nothing of use to contribute, please refrain from commenting.

Dxdiag does not tell you that DX11 completely is installed but tells you that version 11 of DirectX is installed completely without specification of choice for that matter.

If you look carefully, you'll notice that I mentioned that I already tried installing DirectX 9.0c with the Call of Duty 5 setup. I still got the same error message.
@Pepper Wadlow, Esq.
If you run dxdiag in Win7 you'll see that the DirectX version is 11, so that's what I was saying. If you have nothing of use to contribute, please refrain from commenting.

i got the same problem too dude! mine is CodWaW5 -.- and wen i dont know wat mission is it but name is eviction -.- but i got my video card ^^ hihihi
it says that you have encountered a unrecovable errooor please check readme of cowwaw.exe
and i read it! and i have dx9.0c

Back