Windows 10 Doubt in partition

No, a partition is a logical slice of a drive assigned with a volume number and label C,D,E etc. Moving data between partitions (really volumes) changes the logical location of files/directories.

Is there any way to backup my current existing windows os(along with manually installed softwares) as an iso image and able to reinstall it later?

Yes, it is possible to create a backup of your current Windows OS along with manually installed software as an ISO image using various software solutions available. Here are the steps to create a backup of your Windows OS as an ISO image:

1. Download and install a disk imaging software such as Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, or Clonezilla.

2. Open the disk imaging software and select the option to create a disk image or backup.

3. Choose the drive where your Windows OS is installed and select any additional drives or partitions you wish to include in the backup.

4. Select the location where you want to save the backup. This could be an external hard drive, a USB drive, or a network location.

5. In the software, choose to create an ISO image file from the backup.

6. Wait for the backup process to complete. This may take several minutes or hours depending on the size of your Windows installation and the speed of your computer and storage devices.

7. Once the backup is complete, you can burn the ISO image to a DVD, transfer it to a USB drive, or save it to a network location for safekeeping.

8. To restore your Windows OS from the backup, insert the DVD or USB drive containing the ISO image and boot from it. Follow the prompts to restore your system from the backup.

Remember to test your backup by restoring it to a test system before relying on it in the case of an emergency.

Is there any way to backup my current existing windows os(along with manually installed softwares) as a bootable iso image and able to reinstall it later?

Hi, I know the bot tried to answer your question, but the short answer is yes, you can do this, however, it might be extremely pointless to use the .ISO file format when you could use the modern compression formats found in most commercial backup products. If you want to make an ISO of the entire filesystem use CloneZilla for this purpose and I believe it should let you do it. This is a free partition disk/imaging program.

Hi, I know the bot tried to answer your question, but the short answer is yes, you can do this, however, it might be extremely pointless to use the .ISO file format when you could use the modern compression formats found in most commercial backup products. If you want to make an ISO of the entire filesystem use CloneZilla for this purpose and I believe it should let you do it. This is a free partition disk/imaging program.
Thanks for replying man... Is it really possible to decrypt the wim file to an bootable installation along with installed apps and be able to reinstall it as an usual os? Or you're just meant the backing up of a drive usong clonezilla??

Thanks for replying man... Is it really possible to decrypt the wim file to an bootable installation along with installed apps and be able to reinstall it as an usual os? Or you're just meant the backing up of a drive usong clonezilla??
I meant backing up the whole drive. If you just want to back up Windows to something else, I know Macrium Reflect does it, but I don't think it can do ISO. If this is more of a situation where you're trying to create a custom Windows installation media you could use something like NTLite.

I meant backing up the whole drive. If you just want to back up Windows to something else, I know Macrium Reflect does it, but I don't think it can do ISO. If this is more of a situation where you're trying to create a custom Windows installation media you could use something like NTLite.
No it's not about the custom windows, lemme explain in detail.. I'm gonna buy a new laptop which is having windows 11 with preactivated along with ms office activated, but I don't want original version of windows with bloatwares and unwanted settings... So i wanna use revi os 11 or ghost spectre 11.. but i want the original windows 11 as an iso which can be usable to reinstall later...

No it's not about the custom windows, lemme explain in detail.. I'm gonna buy a new laptop which is having windows 11 with preactivated along with ms office activated, but I don't want original version of windows with bloatwares and unwanted settings... So i wanna use revi os 11 or ghost spectre 11.. but i want the original windows 11 as an iso which can be usable to reinstall later...
Then as soon as you get the laptop make a backup. CloneZilla could do this. You could also just use the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 11 ISO, but it wouldn't have the drivers and customized settings from your manufacturer. You could get that later if its a Dell or Lenovo.

Then as soon as you get the laptop make a backup. CloneZilla could do this. You could also just use the Media Creation Tool to create a Windows 11 ISO, but it wouldn't have the drivers and customized settings from your manufacturer. You could get that later if its a Dell or Lenovo.
Thank you so much and clonezilla can do backup everything along with drivers too?? And the lap I'm gonna get is asus vivobook 15

Last edited:
Thank you so much and clonezilla can do backup everything along with drivers too?? And the lap I'm gonna get is asus vivobook 15
It is capable of making a 1:1 backup of any drive, but it might clone the entire drive including free space so the file size could be quite large.

Back