Windows 7 Download folder disappeared

pedrosocb

hi people!

my download post simply disappeared. It was one of the favorites shown on windows explorer. I was working normally on it when i tried to access it and I got an error message. It's properties now show a link file without an address and the folder on C:\users\me\downloads also disappeared.

tries file recovery programs without succeeding. and I really don't remind deleting it. And I rarelly use shift+del, so it's really strange it happened.

hope anyone can help!

ah, just registered to the forum. Hope I can help and be helped here!

tnx

Have you checked the recycle bin?

Did you do a search for it on your system?

Can you do a system restore back before you lost the file, if there is a restore point?

You can't download it again?

Was it actually on your system, or on the net someplace?

Last edited:
Have you checked the recycle bin?

Did you do a search for it on your system?

Can you do a system restore back before you lost the file, if there is a restore point?

You can't download it again?

Was it actually on your system, or on the net someplace?

After trying the 5th file recovery program I found the deleted files along with the folder. I didn't delete it but seems it was excluded indeed. It didn't go to recycle bin and I didn't have a restore point that would help me.

well, anyway, the files were there for recovery as they were deleted. But on the Recovery program, the folder indicated wasn't used\me\download, but c:\? . very weird. I created another download folder on the user\me folder and it's working properly. so, this thread can be closed.

thanx u all!

Hello all!

Ok, I'm going to use this thread because pretty much the same occurred with me: "[My Downloads folder] properties now show a link file without an address and the folder on C:\users\me\downloads also disappeared."

But I have a clue from what happened. I've started using Internet Download Manager today and I think I've deleted my "Downloads" folder by mistake. Please, take a look at IDM screenshot:

idm.jpg

I had A LOT of files in my Win-7 Downloads folder (C:\Users\MY-USER\Downloads). I hope I can recover it all. There's nothing at my recycle bin. Here's my Explorer window, the "Downloads" folder doesn't exist anymore:

dl.jpg

The folder disappeared from "C:\Users\MY-USER".

Does anyone have a clue? I think I'll try some recovery software now and see what happens.

Now I've tried "WinMend Data Recovery", quick scan, and no results

What could possibly happened to my Downloads folder?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's smart to try the Windows 7 Recovery Methods. Just for the record: I tried to search for some files that were on the Downloads folder and I've got no results.

Hi hamnickel,
you could give 'system restore' a try and go back to a time before the accidental deletion.

Hi, kemical! Thanks for your reply.

Finally one data recovery software found some of my files: Wondershare Data Recovery.

Unfortunately, the files are all messed up — they're inside a folder called "LOST LOCATION" in Wondershare Data Recovery — and I had A LOT of files and folders inside my "Downloads" folder...

I would like to know exactly which files I had inside that folder, to recover them all, but I don't know how to do that for now.

I think I'll give the "System Restore" a try.

I've tried the System Restore two times, with two different points. I've got this same message when Windows starts, both times:

msg.jpg

"System Restore did not complete succesfully. Your computer's system files and setting were not changed."

In "Details", the message shows a McAfee dll. I uninstalled my McAfee software, which came with my Acer Aspire 5552, because the trial version expired. I don't know what this has to do with the System Restore.

I don't have any more System Restore points to try out.

My Downloads folder is still empty.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

The error number relates to corrupt or damaged files so it does look like those files have been lost.

Ok. I'm really lost.
I've tried four softwares to recover my files, with no success.

Please, if someone know how to do this, tell me how.

— I want to know exactly which files and folders I had inside my "Downloads" folder. Since I can't recover the files, maybe I can download all the stuff again.

Is it possible to recover this information? How?

Thanks to everyone!

The only files you'll find insde there will be the ones relating to any downloads undertaken. If the data has been lost or deleted then you'll need to find out what you had originally downloaded.

Back