Windows 7 Drive shows up in Computer Management Not My Computer

Boceefus

I have a Dell Inspirion E1705 laptop. It powers on but nothing on the screen and no keyboard response. Its old so all I want to do is get some files off the drive. Not worried about fixing the laptop. I took the drive out and plugged into my desktop as a second drive. It doesn't show up in Computer but does list in device manager and disk manager. It shows as unallocated space in disk manager. I attached a picture that shows the error when I try to initialize the disk. No other options are available. I've tried using a few file recovery programs but with no luck. What else can I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• disk.jpg
    disk.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 326
You didn't get any replies to your question. Has this already been overtaken by events?

The hard disk problem would explain why nothing works on the laptop. The rest of the laptop could be fine (no reason to trash it). It sounds like your hard disk went senile. If you have not reformatted it, the contents are likely still there. If the entire disk was a single partition, it may be possible to restore it. I have seen software that will do this but I'm not up on what is currently available.

Otherwise, there are many programs that will do a low-level recovery of the disk contents (many are free). These programs go sector by sector recovering raw data from the platters, copy it to another drive, and then figure out how the pieces fit together. It is often a significant task to go through the results (could be tens of thousands of files, sometimes with limited identifying information). You may have to triage by size and other characteristics, depending on how much time you have available and how valuable the files were.

Fortunately, I have not had to recover an entire hard disk. Rather than recommend a program I have not personally tested for this purpose, let me encourage other members to share what programs they have had success with.

Back
Top Bottom