Windows 7 DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE ntoskrnl.exe

zanthodin

I recently purchased a new desktop and every time it attempts to shut down it hangs at the shuting down screen for about five minutes then goes to the BSOD.

The message is a 0x0000009 DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

This computer is less than a week old, nevertheless I went through and updated every driver I could find and all the windows updates that were available. Eventually I downloaded a neat little program called "bluescreenview" which allowed me to see what files were causing the crash. There were two; one was ntoskrnl.exe and the other was nvlddmkm.sys, which I believe is an NVidia driver. This prompted me to do a complete clean install of the NVidia drivers in safe mode and now that file is no longer listed in the crash dump.

I'm a bit stuck now, please find View attachment mini dmp.zip attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-Z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zanthodin and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0x0000009F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Usual causes:
Device driver

Your dump file lists pci.sys Sat Nov 20 09:19:11 2010 as the probable cause. This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes. Random stop codes often indicate hardware issues.

As a Priority:

PC Tools is known to be a cause of BSOD's on many Windows 7 systems. Uninstall PC Tools, including ThreatFire. Download Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure your Windows firewall is switched on!

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.

HTH you are a wonderful person. Uninstalled PC Tools and the problem was instantly fixed.

I can't believe it was that simple, I've been on this for two days now disconnecting, reconnecting and updating drivers on various bits of hardware and yet, it seems to have worked.

Thanks for your help.
-Z.

Back