Windows 7 Drives C+D GONE, not accessible, but boots...permissions

freshfruit

Bizarre, running new RC Build 7100 for ~2 weeks, then this...
On reboot after windows update, June 8 2009, notebook drives C+D are visible but not accessible!
Notebook boots to win7, but impossible to install things from desktop or drill down through folders past desktop.
re non existant disks, although they are shown, they are not accessible.
0 bytes existing, 0 used, 0 available
Desktop still has items and local folders. no install things on desktop work. Anything requiring an install does not work. permissions.
Response to any install process is
"Windows cannot access
C;\Users\'user'\AppData\Local\Temp\nameoftemp file.tmp\setup.exe
searching for the error gives
"An error occurred while troubleshooting
A problem has prevented the troubleshooter from starting
...Error Code 0x80070005..."

System Restore shows 3 earlier restore points before teh update yesterday, but when selecting one, System Restore crashes

+Not possible to drag and drop to the desktop
+Not possible to copy and paste a file to desktop
+Also it is Impossible to drill down through a folder to open "computer" or individual drives c or d
Typical response is error 0x800704B3 or later came 0x80070005
+Got message about invalid/illegal win7 copy, too ( one time on boot ). I chose 'tell me "later"' (obviously I used the free MS key at install)
context is "Restricted"
Impossible to change permissions

only one user...administator
running pctools antivirus and firewall and threatfire, which worked well on vista
Attempted using startup repair from iso cd I made, gives no joy
running glary utilities cleaners from safe mode had no effect on drive access, though 2 worms were removed.
Interestingly two unknown and hence illegal numerical users were found while clicking around the internal folders looking at permissions, which typically were all blank. These were erased. They had no names, only long strings of numbers and letters.
Even after reinserting full access for the administrator and the login user, nothing seemed to start working. Curious.
Suspect that the 2 trojans were to each make an illegal user. Erasing them did not correct the other damage.
Hence
C:\ is not accessible
Access is denied.
Same for D:\
Attempted reinstalling a full clean copy of Win7 from the iso CD originally used, and it says that C and D are not usable and restricted
There is a factory pdq drive which is normally hidden, that has Vista Home, but it has not been opened and is inaccessible, too
OK, gurus... Please, what do you recommend???
This is not fun...
:(

Last edited:
There is a micro$oft utility called CACLS which can be used to reset drive/file permissions from command line, if it is indeed a permission problem, might wanna use that. AFAIK the command to reset permissions to your control would be

run command prompt - goto c:\

Code:
cacls /g <username>:F

It's a bear...

There is a micro$oft utility called CACLS which can be used to reset drive/file permissions from command line, if it is indeed a permission problem, might wanna use that. AFAIK the command to reset permissions to your control would be

run command prompt - goto c:\

Code:
cacls /g <username>:F
Many thanks, but it did not work
Also, I cannot get to c:\
I can only get to the USERS area in the windows directory tree where is the file structure root for the admin who is logged on.
there are no other users.
Interestingly, if I invoke the classic DIR or DIR/P command, I get
Access is denied.
I also get that if I attempt to go to any other place like the c: root, as you had suggested.
What do you think, please?
I have never seen this before...It's a bear...:confused:

What? Corrupt MBR? What are you talking about?

Try booting on a live CD; and remove all permissions from the folders. Hirens Boot CD 9.8 comes with a live XP which i can recommend.

If the master boot record becomes corrupt you will lose access to your drives sometimes. I don't know how to fix it I just know it has happened to me before with the same symptoms you are talkimg about.

Okay...? I have never heard of it, and afaik the MBR should not effect permissions.... Anyway, to repair the MBR, put your win7 disk in the tray, and reboot the computer. Boot from it, and choose to repair the system.. That can replace your MBR..

Back
Top Bottom