Dropbox doesn't launch on windows startup

I'm not sure this is the right place for this but i'll give it a shot.

I also posted this here 3 months ago but i got no answers, and seems like other people are having the same issue.

A while ago everything was fine, but suddenly Dropbox stopped launching when i restart the computer, unless i start it manually (from C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe).
Note that in Task Manager it's set to run at startup (however, "status impact" says: Not measured).
Also, in Dropbox preferences, the option "Start Dropbox on system startup" is checked.
Again, it just suddenly stopped launching (i don't think i installed/uninstalled something).

* I'm using Windows 8

Any ideas?

Thanks

whs

Extraordinary Member
Put a shortcut into the startup folder. That folder you can access when you type shell:startup into the start/search field. Then hit Enter.

@whs
Put a shortcut into the startup folder. That folder you can access when you type shell:startup into the start/search field. Then hit Enter.
I navigated to shell:startup and found that there's already a Dropbox shortcut there. And its "target" is:

C:\Users\MyUser\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe /systemstartup

@bassfisher6522
3 and 4 are for Ubuntu users, so they're not relevant for me (i'm using Windows 8)
1 - Didn't work (tried both disabling my antivirus (Kaspersky Internet Security) and the suggested cmd commands (the operation completed successfully by it didn't solve the problem)
2 - Here it suggests using Windows Task Scheduler (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task Scheduler) and creating a task at startup. I created a task (launching Dropbox.exe), checked the "configure for Windows 8" option, and let the "attempts times" be 3, and even this didn't help.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Have you tried reinstalling Dropbox?
That may get things back to the default settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

I'm running Windows 8 and Dropbox starts with no problems.

Mike

Hi

Have you tried reinstalling Dropbox?
That may get things back to the default settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

I'm running Windows 8 and Dropbox starts with no problems.

Mike
Didn't work...

Note: i reinstalled without uninstalling. I'm trying to avoid uninstall because then it would take time to sync all my files back

For windows 10: in the start/search field enter: shell:
Once you do this a window appears showing apps that can launch at startup.
Select dropbox and choose enable.

It worked for me

An even easier way: Hit alt control delete and choose task manager.
Hit the tab startup and enable dropbox in the window that appears

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.