Windows 7 dropping internet connection

kaner

seems 7 keeps dropping my internet connection when I am doing such thing as watching youtube videos and such, also when downloading updates for programs like World of Warcraft, I have of course turned auto disconnect off

I'm not having this problem....
with any of the builds...
local net connection or wifi...

seems the problem may be envolving somthing else.... hmmm.....

hard wired into my router, the dial-up connection box keeps coming up, not sure if I have to change a setting somewhere, almost as if my internet connection gets strangled when wathcing videos and just cuts out, a wireless computer on my network has no problems (running xp on it)

I'd say it's a driver issue, try finding a windows 7 driver for your ethernet card or chipset, probably not one available yet ;) so use the latest vista driver for the suggested parts and if that doesn't work maybe try fooling around with the compatibility tab a bit and see if that helps...

Just keep in mind, 7 is in BETA stages, things like this are gonna happen, not all will be able to be fixed just yet...

I'd say it's a driver issue, try finding a windows 7 driver for your ethernet card or chipset, probably not one available yet ;) so use the latest vista driver for the suggested parts and if that doesn't work maybe try fooling around with the compatibility tab a bit and see if that helps...

Just keep in mind, 7 is in BETA stages, things like this are gonna happen, not all will be able to be fixed just yet...
Correct rade night this is definately a driver issue from the info you have provided. Make sure you have the most up to date driver for your card. It seems that most of the wireless problems i have seen have come from broadcom wireless cards. Please be patient and wait for your wireless company to come oujt with a driver that supports Windows 7.

thanks all for your thoughts, will continue to play with it and see if I come up with a fix will keep all posted

Kaner

yeah, used the latest driver update from Intel for my board, I think I may have found the problem, when I open up the icon on the bottom of the screen, it looks like I had two connections open,

it says currently connected to
network
broadband conncection

I then merged them into one and have been watching Aerosmith videos on youtube with out any problems,

looks like I got it thanks for the help everyone,

Kaner

I'm having the same problem as well, and I can't seem to figure out a way around it.

I'm running build 7000 x64

thinking its drivers since all other computers are working in the house

i'll chime in if i come across this problem again anytime soon

UPDATE: Turns out i had to re-install vista drivers for my card

Last edited:
I'm having the same problem, running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, all my drivers are up to date but all though I see the internet is connected I cannot browse or do anything. re-booting solves the problem though. This is very frustrating and cannot find a solution. I don't think there is a problem with 32bit though.

Here are some solutions I have come across... I offer them only as a possibilites

Network Connection Fixes
1. Verify network drivers are up to date for your adapter.
Click Start and type "Device Manager" and look for any driver errors..
usually a yellow triangle.
Click Start and type and enter "ev" and it will run the Event Viewer. Look
under Custom at the Administrative logs. Problems with initializing drivers are
logged here at startup.
Click Start and type "perfmon /report" and press enter... it takes 60 seconds
to gather a comprehensive diagnostic report and then it presents resolutions.
2. Disable NORTON and all AV programs and firewals. Norton 360 is NOT
compatible with Win 7.
3. Reset the router and test
4. Bypass the router, connect directly to modem and test - not exactly a fix but narrows the problem.
4. Go into your device manager. (Control Panel --> Device Manager) and open up the
drop down list under Network Adapters. Find your network controller(s), right
click it (them) and uninstall. After uninstall is complete, click any other
device in your Network Adapters and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes". Windows
should automatically detect and reinstall your network controllers.
5. Go to Task Manager /services /services
and Disabled the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" service
Note: Windows 7's new "HomeGroup" connectivity requires this service.
6. Remove the Bonjour service if you have Apple/iTunes
- Click Start and enter and run this command: "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -remove
- Navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer. "C:\Program Files\Bonjour"
and Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old
- Restart your computer and DElETE the the "Program Files\Bonjour" folder

7. Fix for NVIDIA USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) chipset BUG
You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM

8. Cannot get IP address
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

9. Unidentified Network
Go to the NIC properties and uncheck these things:
-Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
-Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver
-Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Wireless Connection dropping

I'm using Windows 7 64 Ultimate and in the last few days I am now seeing my Wireless network connection drop randomly. I've been using 7 for a month without this issue, with no new hardware changes, etc.
When I see that it's broke (network icon with yellow exclamation point) I repair it and it works. I did see something about DNS/Gateway wasn't available cuasing it to just give up???? I go through a secured wireless access point, and all my desktops, etc work great and are up during my laptop disconnect??????
I perform all the updates.

Here are some more solutions to test that were recommended for Vista

•Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification
area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.
•Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is
connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or
through a router).
•If you're trying to connect to another computer, make sure that computer is on
and that you have enabled file and printer sharing on your network. For more
information, see Networking home computers running different versions of
Windows.
•If your computer has a wireless network adapter, Windows will automatically
detect wireless networks that are nearby. To see a list of wireless networks
that Windows has detected, click the Start button , and then click Connect to.
If Windows does not detect a network that you think is in range of your
computer, open Help and Support and search for "Troubleshoot problems finding
wireless networks."
•If the problem began after you installed new software, check your connection
settings to see if they have been changed.
1.Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control
Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and
then clicking Manage network connections.
2.Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted
for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.
•Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista,
some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can
cause problems. You can test your router to see whether it is fully compatible
with Windows Vista by running the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool. Or, for
a list of routers that are compatible with Windows Vista, go to the Windows
Logo'd Products List website.
If these steps don't solve the problem, look for a specific problem in the
following list.

Not to be mean: Please do not post unless contributing to the exact issue, thank you. It confuses the conversation.
The discussion is Windows 7 64 bit (Utlimate).
This is a real issue that can't be addressed via a basic troubleshooting script. It's not an driver issue unless MS updated them incorrectly. This worked for over a month flawlessly.
I am a senior software developer that also installs/works with Windows 2003/2008, etc (and contributed to Windows XP windows welcome coding).
After searching and find MANY users with the same experience I believe this issue needs attention by Microsoft.

On Link Removed - Invalid URL, this was posted by (on 11/2009!!):
Link Removed - Invalid URLLink Removed - Invalid URL Microsoft Support, Moderator

You can try the following workaround and check if it works:
1. Disable the IP Helper service:
1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

2. Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 (How to back up and restore the registry in Windows)
Windows 7 cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
To resolve this issue, disable the DHCP BROADCAST flag in Windows 7. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
3. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey that corresponds to the network adapter that is connected to the network.
4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
5. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
6. Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
7. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
8. Close Registry Editor.
By setting this registry key to 1, Windows 7 will first try to obtain an IP address by using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets. If that fails, it will try to obtain an IP address without using the BROADCAST flag in DHCP Discover packets.

About the second issue that your computer is not shutting down properly, you can perform a clean boot and check which application is causing this issue.

Perform the following steps to perform a clean boot:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
User Account Control permission.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the
password, Or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also you need to uninstall and reinstall the problem software on your computer.
Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

I have W7 32 bit installed on 5 computers. 3 laptops and 2 desktops and my internet connection drops randomly on all of them. The desktops are wired and the laptops are wireless.

Driver issue? Perhaps but when you have the latest driver installed that is available for your hardware it's an OS problem.

Rebooting helps sometimes. Booting to XP or Linux works every time.

As stated earlier, these types of problems are almost always associated with driver issues, but if you insist that your drivers are up to date and current.
Then your focus should turn towards your router.
It may be having a problem with forwarding, you can manually set the DNS server specs statically in the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your NIC try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It may be having problems with IPv6 try unchecking it in the properties of your NIC
It may need a firmware upgrade, check the manufacturer's website and see if your router model and version number has any such update.

As stated earlier, these types of problems are almost always associated with driver issues, but if you insist that your drivers are up to date and current.
Then your focus should turn towards your router.
It may be having a problem with forwarding, you can manually set the DNS server specs statically in the properties of IPv4 in the properties of your NIC try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It may be having problems with IPv6 try unchecking it in the properties of your NIC
It may need a firmware upgrade, check the manufacturer's website and see if your router model and version number has any such update.

Considering that it happens at several different locations that offer wi-fi I don't think it's a router issue.

I have bypassed the router on my desktops and it still happens.

I have have wired my laptops directly to the modem at home and at work and it still happens.

I guess there is just something wrong with the drivers on all 5 systems.

No, you're probably right, unless of course all five systems are using the same identical NIC, but, from a single post I could not have possibly determined what, if anything, you had done diagnostically to determine what the problem was. There are, however, many cases of third party programs producing similar issues, have you taken a look at this members post http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...er-repeatedly-disconnecting-6.html#post127806 it seems he determine that his linksys wireless management utilities was causing his issue.

Last edited:
This isn't happening on one system using the same modem and router. As a matter of fact it happens when I use my BlackBerry as a modem as well but only when I use W7. Never with XP.

If this isn't a W7 issue I guess I'm just a moron.

I LOVE W7 btw. I'm not here to bash it. I wouldn't have installed it on 5 systems and spent several hundred dollars if I didn't think it was an awesome OS. There just seems to be a networking problem with it.

I know it's not your intent to bash Windows 7 and I can certainly understand your frustration regarding this issue. I can only conclude my remarks by simply stating that in my personal opinion, issues that members here and other users elsewhere are experiencing are not a Windows 7 OS issue. In fact it has been my experience that if all associated hardware and installed third party software are fully Windows 7 compatible, that Windows performs better in all respects than any previous Microsoft OS. Windows XP (my personal all time favorite) is 7 years old and all hardware and software vendors have pretty much resolved issues with that OS so of course (and we hear it here quite often) Windows XP doesn't have this problem. Likewise with Vista. I see in your private message that you mentioned using Linksys wireless devices did you read the link to the other thread where the member uninstalled his linksys wireless management software and resolved his issue. I know it happens with wired connections, but if the wireless device is enabled, even if you're not using it, it may still be causing some problem overlap. Check your hardware against the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compaibility List here Windows 7 Compatibility Center home

Back
Top Bottom